Re: [NVnarrowgauge] An E&P locomotive photo

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
      Brian,
      I have seen that photo of #6 but I don't think it is at Palisade. The hills in the background makes me think that this may be of the engine where it sat out on the line following the 1910 flood at Mineral or at Alpha.
      Greg
    • Michael Lee
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
        Greg,

        That's definitely not Palisades. I believe it is on
        the flat just outside of Eureka. I'll go through my
        records and see if I can pinpoint the location.

        Mike Lee
        Tonopah, Goldfield and Bullfrog in N
        League City, TX

        http://photoswest.org:8080/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?fullRecord+10335+594+623979620+7+0

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
          Greg and Mike:

          When I first saw the photo my thoughts was that it was some place out on
          the line. I showed a print out of the view to Dave Garcia and his
          reaction was that it was at Palisade -- I protested that the hills were
          too flat and far away. I'm glad that I'm not alone with my thoughts as
          to the location.

          Yah, Alpha or Mineral makes some sense based upon the terrain. Nice
          thing about that part of Nevada is that the terrain (including clumps of
          trees) changes little over the years.

          Brian

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
            In a message dated 12/18/2005 2:00:52 PM Pacific Standard Time, tphmike@... writes:
            Greg,

            That's definitely not Palisades. I believe it is on
            the flat just outside of Eureka. I'll go through my
            records and see if I can pinpoint the location.

            Mike Lee
            Tonopah, Goldfield and Bullfrog in N
            League City, TX
            Mike,
            My vote is for Mineral siding as the location of this photo. Numbers 5 and 6 were headed south in a work train going to repair a wash out at the Chimney Creek trestle just south of Alpha when the train was stranded by additional wash outs at Shannons and Blackburn. Number 5 was retrieved early on in the rebuilding and was used in work train service but I don't recall that the number 6 was ever used after the flood and may have been left at Mineral for some time. Also the engine in the photo is sitting on a side track and if the engine is pointing south the siding would be on the west side of the main track as it is at Mineral.

            Greg
          • Michael Lee
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
              Greg,

              I agree with your idea. I looked through my stuff and
              that is the only other location with those kind of
              mountains in the background.

              Mike

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
                Thank you, both of you, for the information.

                Brian