Re: [NVnarrowgauge] An E&P locomotive photo

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
      Greg,

      Sorry about that. It also seems that it is best to enter through the
      search engine used by the DPL.

      Subject is engine with out tender in the bush with a man and woman in
      the cab. Rear 3/4 view.
      Maybe #5?

      Go to Denver Public Library, Western History/Genealogy Department,
      photogrpahy collection:
      http://photoswest.org/
      Follow links to the seach page.
      call number is Z-5660 [ this can be entered as a "keyword"]

      This will get you to the record page with information about the photo.
      Click on the photo or the call number to see a larger view of the image.

      if you search keywords: Eureka locomotive -- you will find Otto Perry
      views from the 1930 at both Palisades Nevada and at Eureka, California

      Brian

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
        Brian,
        I have seen that photo of #6 but I don't think it is at Palisade. The hills in the background makes me think that this may be of the engine where it sat out on the line following the 1910 flood at Mineral or at Alpha.
        Greg
      • Michael Lee
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
          Greg,

          That's definitely not Palisades. I believe it is on
          the flat just outside of Eureka. I'll go through my
          records and see if I can pinpoint the location.

          Mike Lee
          Tonopah, Goldfield and Bullfrog in N
          League City, TX

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
            Greg and Mike:

            When I first saw the photo my thoughts was that it was some place out on
            the line. I showed a print out of the view to Dave Garcia and his
            reaction was that it was at Palisade -- I protested that the hills were
            too flat and far away. I'm glad that I'm not alone with my thoughts as
            to the location.

            Yah, Alpha or Mineral makes some sense based upon the terrain. Nice
            thing about that part of Nevada is that the terrain (including clumps of
            trees) changes little over the years.

            Brian

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
              In a message dated 12/18/2005 2:00:52 PM Pacific Standard Time, tphmike@... writes:
              Greg,

              That's definitely not Palisades. I believe it is on
              the flat just outside of Eureka. I'll go through my
              records and see if I can pinpoint the location.

              Mike Lee
              Tonopah, Goldfield and Bullfrog in N
              League City, TX
              Mike,
              My vote is for Mineral siding as the location of this photo. Numbers 5 and 6 were headed south in a work train going to repair a wash out at the Chimney Creek trestle just south of Alpha when the train was stranded by additional wash outs at Shannons and Blackburn. Number 5 was retrieved early on in the rebuilding and was used in work train service but I don't recall that the number 6 was ever used after the flood and may have been left at Mineral for some time. Also the engine in the photo is sitting on a side track and if the engine is pointing south the siding would be on the west side of the main track as it is at Mineral.

              Greg
            • Michael Lee
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
                Greg,

                I agree with your idea. I looked through my stuff and
                that is the only other location with those kind of
                mountains in the background.

                Mike

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
                  Thank you, both of you, for the information.

                  Brian