An E&P locomotive photo

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 16, 2005
      Hi,

      I was searching through the Denver Public Library on-line photo
      collection and found this view that appearently was taken out back of
      the Palisades engine house. I have never seen it before.

      Follow the link:
      http://photoswest.org:8080/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?fullRecord+10335+594+623979620+7+0

      Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Years, and all of that kind
      of stuff

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 17, 2005
        In a message dated 12/16/2005 11:34:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, bnorden49@... writes:
        Hi,

        I was searching through the Denver Public Library on-line photo
        collection and found this view that apparently was taken out back of
        the Palisades engine house.  I have never seen it before.

        Follow the link:
        http://photoswest.org:8080/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?fullRecord+10335+594+623979620+7+0

        Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Years, and all of that kind
        of stuff

        Brian Norden
        Brian,
        I couldn't get this link to open on my oh so slow computer. Could you please send the DPL call numbers for this photo? What is the subject of the picture?
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
          Greg,

          Sorry about that. It also seems that it is best to enter through the
          search engine used by the DPL.

          Subject is engine with out tender in the bush with a man and woman in
          the cab. Rear 3/4 view.
          Maybe #5?

          Go to Denver Public Library, Western History/Genealogy Department,
          photogrpahy collection:
          http://photoswest.org/
          Follow links to the seach page.
          call number is Z-5660 [ this can be entered as a "keyword"]

          This will get you to the record page with information about the photo.
          Click on the photo or the call number to see a larger view of the image.

          if you search keywords: Eureka locomotive -- you will find Otto Perry
          views from the 1930 at both Palisades Nevada and at Eureka, California

          Brian

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
            Brian,
            I have seen that photo of #6 but I don't think it is at Palisade. The hills in the background makes me think that this may be of the engine where it sat out on the line following the 1910 flood at Mineral or at Alpha.
            Greg
          • Michael Lee
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
              Greg,

              That's definitely not Palisades. I believe it is on
              the flat just outside of Eureka. I'll go through my
              records and see if I can pinpoint the location.

              Mike Lee
              Tonopah, Goldfield and Bullfrog in N
              League City, TX

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
                Greg and Mike:

                When I first saw the photo my thoughts was that it was some place out on
                the line. I showed a print out of the view to Dave Garcia and his
                reaction was that it was at Palisade -- I protested that the hills were
                too flat and far away. I'm glad that I'm not alone with my thoughts as
                to the location.

                Yah, Alpha or Mineral makes some sense based upon the terrain. Nice
                thing about that part of Nevada is that the terrain (including clumps of
                trees) changes little over the years.

                Brian

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
                  In a message dated 12/18/2005 2:00:52 PM Pacific Standard Time, tphmike@... writes:
                  Greg,

                  That's definitely not Palisades. I believe it is on
                  the flat just outside of Eureka. I'll go through my
                  records and see if I can pinpoint the location.

                  Mike Lee
                  Tonopah, Goldfield and Bullfrog in N
                  League City, TX
                  Mike,
                  My vote is for Mineral siding as the location of this photo. Numbers 5 and 6 were headed south in a work train going to repair a wash out at the Chimney Creek trestle just south of Alpha when the train was stranded by additional wash outs at Shannons and Blackburn. Number 5 was retrieved early on in the rebuilding and was used in work train service but I don't recall that the number 6 was ever used after the flood and may have been left at Mineral for some time. Also the engine in the photo is sitting on a side track and if the engine is pointing south the siding would be on the west side of the main track as it is at Mineral.

                  Greg
                • Michael Lee
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
                    Greg,

                    I agree with your idea. I looked through my stuff and
                    that is the only other location with those kind of
                    mountains in the background.

                    Mike

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
                      Thank you, both of you, for the information.

                      Brian