Re: any news, etc.

  • Michael Lumert
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
      Greg,

      > The DeGolyer collection has the EN photos from Lynwood Moody.

      Yeah, that's right. I forgot they were Moody pics. I was actually
      looking for Kennebec Central pics at the time, and while waiting for
      the staff to make me some photocopies, I starting poking through the
      box they brought out for me. SMU has an online list of railroads
      they have pictures for, but it doesn't indicate how many pics they
      have. Might be one, might be lots. But I suppose that's normal.

      > I hope to incorporate these and hundreds of other pictures
      > in a book... I hope to have the text complete by this summer.

      Hundreds of pictures? Wow, that's fantastic. I look forward to
      seeing your book!

      Cheers,
      Michael
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
        My understanding from Dave Garcia is that Lywood Moody sent his camera
        with a roll of film out to Charles Sexton (brother of John and then
        manager of E-N) with the request that the photos be taken of the
        railroad. About 10 years or so ago, Dave and I traveled the line with
        copies of these photos. We found the locations -- after 50+ we could
        find the same clumps of trees and even the ranch house in the background
        of one of the photos.

        Ah the roster. It is a very interesting one. After looking over photos
        and evaluating other information Dave and I came to the conclusion that
        the roster would drive one to drink -- and you might have to be in that
        condition to even begin.

        Brian Norden

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
          In a message dated 2/3/2005 7:16:50 PM Pacific Standard Time, bnorden49@... writes:

          My understanding from Dave Garcia is that Lywood Moody sent his camera
          with a roll of film out to Charles Sexton (brother of John and then
          manager of  E-N) with the request that the photos be taken of the
          railroad.  About 10 years or so ago, Dave and I traveled the line with
          copies of these photos.  We found the locations -- after 50+ we could
          find the same clumps of trees and even the ranch house in the background
          of  one of the photos.

          Ah the roster.  It is a very interesting one.  After looking over photos
          and evaluating other information Dave and I came to the conclusion that
          the roster would drive one to drink -- and you might have to be in that
          condition to even begin.
          I have also heard the story about Charlie Sexton taking the 1936 photos. He may have delegated some of this job to another employee as Mr. Sexton appears in a couple of the photos. This first group of pictures was used to illustrate an article on the EN that appeared in Moody's short lived railfan publication. It is interesting that Mr. Moody offered prints of these pictures for 15 cents, the same prints will now run about $15.00+ from SMU. There is also another group of pictures taken in late 1938 all at Palisade.