Re: [NVnarrowgauge] Re: any news, etc.

  • eabracher@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005

      The DeGolyer collection has the EN photos from Lynwood Moody. These photos taken in 1936 and 38 show mostly Palisade and the northern most 15 or so miles of the road with some great action shots. I hope to incorporate these and hundreds of other pictures in a book that E&P authority Dave Garcia and myself have been working on for the past 15 years. A complete equipment roster has been done but still has a couple of holes. Herman Darr, Ed Cass and others have volunteered to drawings and I hope to have the text complete by this summer.

      Greg Maxwell
    • Michael Lumert
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
        Greg,

        > The DeGolyer collection has the EN photos from Lynwood Moody.

        Yeah, that's right. I forgot they were Moody pics. I was actually
        looking for Kennebec Central pics at the time, and while waiting for
        the staff to make me some photocopies, I starting poking through the
        box they brought out for me. SMU has an online list of railroads
        they have pictures for, but it doesn't indicate how many pics they
        have. Might be one, might be lots. But I suppose that's normal.

        > I hope to incorporate these and hundreds of other pictures
        > in a book... I hope to have the text complete by this summer.

        Hundreds of pictures? Wow, that's fantastic. I look forward to
        seeing your book!

        Cheers,
        Michael
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
          My understanding from Dave Garcia is that Lywood Moody sent his camera
          with a roll of film out to Charles Sexton (brother of John and then
          manager of E-N) with the request that the photos be taken of the
          railroad. About 10 years or so ago, Dave and I traveled the line with
          copies of these photos. We found the locations -- after 50+ we could
          find the same clumps of trees and even the ranch house in the background
          of one of the photos.

          Ah the roster. It is a very interesting one. After looking over photos
          and evaluating other information Dave and I came to the conclusion that
          the roster would drive one to drink -- and you might have to be in that
          condition to even begin.

          Brian Norden

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
            In a message dated 2/3/2005 7:16:50 PM Pacific Standard Time, bnorden49@... writes:

            My understanding from Dave Garcia is that Lywood Moody sent his camera
            with a roll of film out to Charles Sexton (brother of John and then
            manager of  E-N) with the request that the photos be taken of the
            railroad.  About 10 years or so ago, Dave and I traveled the line with
            copies of these photos.  We found the locations -- after 50+ we could
            find the same clumps of trees and even the ranch house in the background
            of  one of the photos.

            Ah the roster.  It is a very interesting one.  After looking over photos
            and evaluating other information Dave and I came to the conclusion that
            the roster would drive one to drink -- and you might have to be in that
            condition to even begin.
            I have also heard the story about Charlie Sexton taking the 1936 photos. He may have delegated some of this job to another employee as Mr. Sexton appears in a couple of the photos. This first group of pictures was used to illustrate an article on the EN that appeared in Moody's short lived railfan publication. It is interesting that Mr. Moody offered prints of these pictures for 15 cents, the same prints will now run about $15.00+ from SMU. There is also another group of pictures taken in late 1938 all at Palisade.