any news, etc.

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
      The group has been quite.

      Thought I'd send out an email even though I have not come across any
      interesting photos, etc. to share.

      Brian Norden
    • Michael Lumert
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
        Brian,

        > The group has been quiet.

        Jeepers, there hasn't been a message on here since mid December!

        Okay, I'll throw something out. I was at the DeGolyer a while back
        and they have a decent stash of Eureka Nevada pics. I'd love to have
        a book on that line. Somehow Myrick just doesn't satisfy my
        curiosity. Does anyone have a roster worked up?

        Cheers,
        Michael
      • eabracher@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005

          The DeGolyer collection has the EN photos from Lynwood Moody. These photos taken in 1936 and 38 show mostly Palisade and the northern most 15 or so miles of the road with some great action shots. I hope to incorporate these and hundreds of other pictures in a book that E&P authority Dave Garcia and myself have been working on for the past 15 years. A complete equipment roster has been done but still has a couple of holes. Herman Darr, Ed Cass and others have volunteered to drawings and I hope to have the text complete by this summer.

          Greg Maxwell
        • Michael Lumert
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
            Greg,

            > The DeGolyer collection has the EN photos from Lynwood Moody.

            Yeah, that's right. I forgot they were Moody pics. I was actually
            looking for Kennebec Central pics at the time, and while waiting for
            the staff to make me some photocopies, I starting poking through the
            box they brought out for me. SMU has an online list of railroads
            they have pictures for, but it doesn't indicate how many pics they
            have. Might be one, might be lots. But I suppose that's normal.

            > I hope to incorporate these and hundreds of other pictures
            > in a book... I hope to have the text complete by this summer.

            Hundreds of pictures? Wow, that's fantastic. I look forward to
            seeing your book!

            Cheers,
            Michael
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
              My understanding from Dave Garcia is that Lywood Moody sent his camera
              with a roll of film out to Charles Sexton (brother of John and then
              manager of E-N) with the request that the photos be taken of the
              railroad. About 10 years or so ago, Dave and I traveled the line with
              copies of these photos. We found the locations -- after 50+ we could
              find the same clumps of trees and even the ranch house in the background
              of one of the photos.

              Ah the roster. It is a very interesting one. After looking over photos
              and evaluating other information Dave and I came to the conclusion that
              the roster would drive one to drink -- and you might have to be in that
              condition to even begin.

              Brian Norden

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
                In a message dated 2/3/2005 7:16:50 PM Pacific Standard Time, bnorden49@... writes:

                My understanding from Dave Garcia is that Lywood Moody sent his camera
                with a roll of film out to Charles Sexton (brother of John and then
                manager of  E-N) with the request that the photos be taken of the
                railroad.  About 10 years or so ago, Dave and I traveled the line with
                copies of these photos.  We found the locations -- after 50+ we could
                find the same clumps of trees and even the ranch house in the background
                of  one of the photos.

                Ah the roster.  It is a very interesting one.  After looking over photos
                and evaluating other information Dave and I came to the conclusion that
                the roster would drive one to drink -- and you might have to be in that
                condition to even begin.
                I have also heard the story about Charlie Sexton taking the 1936 photos. He may have delegated some of this job to another employee as Mr. Sexton appears in a couple of the photos. This first group of pictures was used to illustrate an article on the EN that appeared in Moody's short lived railfan publication. It is interesting that Mr. Moody offered prints of these pictures for 15 cents, the same prints will now run about $15.00+ from SMU. There is also another group of pictures taken in late 1938 all at Palisade.