Bodie Railway & Lumber "Tybo"

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
      In the newest issue of Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette there is an
      article on the Bodie Railway & Lumber Company. This is evidently the
      first part of a series on the railroad and it covers the three 2-6-0s
      that the line operated.

      The author writes:
      "Sometime between 1899 and 1906 (or perhaps 1908). TYBO was sold to
      the Inyo development Co. at Keeler, California. Again she was
      reconditioned by the V&T shop crew. The locomotive then ran down the
      C&C to Keeler, where she served the Inyo Co. until about 1926, when she
      was apparently scrapped."

      This is not totally correct. I have read through the records of the
      Inyo Development Co that in the Special Collections of the UNR Library.

      The Inyo Development Co purchased the locomotive for $750 in 1899.
      Apparently it was hauled to Hawthorne by way of Sweetwater. There is a
      $2.50 payment for a "Spl. Messenger Bodie to Sweetwater Oct 10th Engine
      Tybo." Then it took between 1-1/2 to 2 days to unload the engine; the
      labors were W. Box and C.A. Box (one of these was a Hawthrone area local
      amateur photographer) and Fred Belzar. From there it apparently moved
      directly to Keeler. On 10/30 the Inyo Development paid freight on a
      Smoke stack from Keeler to Carson for $3.05 and then on 10/31 paid
      $49.20 for the repair of the smokestack for the Tybo.

      It was then in 1902 that the engine made a trip to the V&T shop for
      repair work. In March of 1902 the Baldwin Locomotive Works wrote to
      Yerington quoting on replacement cylinders for the engine. These BLW
      could ship "promptly" as rough castings; however, it BLW as to do the
      machine work shipment could be made in about three months. The
      correspondence from Yerington to the manager in Keeler indicates that
      the repair work was going on during September of 1902 and took much
      longer than planned. The engine finally was to leave "Wednesday
      morning" after September 28th.

      The photo of the engine at Dayton was taken on this trip. Yerington
      provides the names of the engineer and fireman being sent from Carson to
      Keeler along with the engine. Sometime after that were some problems
      for Yerington wrote, " [Tybo] has had an awful time reaching Keeler,
      from foaming, bad fuel, heating of rods, guides etc., probably from
      being pulled in a train from Junction to Bishop."

      Brian Norden
    • Michael Lee
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2004
        Brian, Have you written to NG &SL to let them know
        about their error??

        MIke Lee

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2004
          Not yet, I most likely will after the weekend. Not sure if I'll try
          their email address or make use of the good old post office.

          What I will say is that the archives of the Inyo Development held at ...
          provide information that clarifies and provides extra information to
          what the author wrote. I want to augment the information presented.

          Brian Norden