Re: [nvshortline] Goldfield-Ely Route

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2004
      Interesting.

      The T&T was involved in survey work on an alignment to Ely. I have
      seen one or two roll prints from this project. These were among some
      maps that a railfan named McFadden had obtained and later went to Orange
      Empire Ry Museum. I recall plotting the location of alignment shown on
      the print(s); it was across several government sections in Railroad
      Valley. And I think Zabrinskie's name may have been on the prints. As
      a board member of the Museum, I have to admit that OERM's paper
      collection is not accessible at this time.

      I was recently did some reading of the microfilm of the Mina, Nevada,
      Western Nevada Miner. It reported several surveys from the Montgomery
      Pass area to Austin and other points east. Some of these were
      independent and then later the SP did one to Palisades. One proposal
      included a tunnel under Montgomery Pass from Queen to Basalt. I make
      copies of the articles, but I don't have them in front of me.

      Also pre-WWI there were reports of surveys to connect the Mina or
      Tonopah Jct with Mono Lake. The idea was to reach timber and supply the
      central Nevada camps.

      In 1915 the Owens Valley papers talked about standard gauging the Narrow
      Gauge within the Valley. Seems they may have been fairly serious
      about it at that time; but nothing much happened. Seems that Keeler was
      producing major quantities of freight. One report was that the line
      would be standard gauge to Laws and maybe all the way to Queens.

      In the later twenties when the NCO was being converted the Mina paper
      carried various reports of support (even from Los Angeles interests) for
      standard gauging the NG over Montgomery Pass. The concept was a route
      that would connect Oregon with Southern California. SP kept denying any
      thought of converting the Mina to Owenyo line.

      Brian Norden