Re: [NVnarrowgauge] Visit to Santa Clara

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19, 2004
      Pete,

      Wow, what a loaded question. Many, many places along the way. They all
      depend on what you find interesting.

      Eastern California Museum in Independence, California is a good place to
      find out about the history of the Owens Valley. Up at Laws the museum
      has the old railroad station, agents house and turntable, etc. and many
      moved-in buildings from around the valley.

      Along the way you might think about visiting:
      Nevada State Railroad Museum, Carson City.
      Mineral County Historical Museum, Hawthorne, Nevada.
      California State Railroad Museum, Sacramento.

      Other interesting historical museums can be found in:
      Bridgeport, California
      Bakersfield, California (Kern County Museum)
      Tulare City Museum, Tulare, California.

      If you're a American Automobile Association (AAA) member pick up its
      guide books to California and Nevada.

      Good luck traveling.

      Brian Norden

      Peter M Grace wrote:

      >I am travelling to Santa Clara for the narrow gauge convention in September
      >with a buddy.
      >
      >Afterwards we thought we would drive down to Tehachapi, up the Owens Valley
      >and then to Donner Pass, over a few days.
      >
      >Any suggestions where we can stop and look at museums, operations or even
      >old relics of past railroads would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      >Pete
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Travis Handschug
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20, 2004
        Pete,

        Three words,

        Bodie, Bodie, Bodie.

        Travis
      • Steven Bechtold
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 20, 2004
          If you look back in the area around Mono Mills on the south side of Mono
          Lake (near the burned area) you can also find the old turntable base for the
          Bodie and Benton.

          Steve