RE: [NVnarrowgauge] another photo

  • Randall Hees
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
      I was thinking it was 253, but, we always try to be skeptical of "gifts",
      even when they come from Brian...

      By the way, the SPCRR just acquired a boxcar built by John Hammond, as were
      the original cars for Lake Tahoe and the Tonapah RR narrow gauge cars (this
      one was built for the Pajaro Valley RR) We are looking for any information
      on Hammond built cars.

      Randy Hees

    • Dave Eggleston
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
        My comment is from memory, I'd need to look at the
        CSRM documentation at home. I do believe it was black
        with silver lining at that time; it was also
        battleship gray at another time. An unusual car in
        many ways.

        Would it be possible to purchase a copy of the print
        from you?

        Dave
        --- Brian Norden <bnorden49@...> wrote:
        > Dave,
        >
        > Thanks for the information.
        >
        > Black is an unusual color! Could it be some other
        > dark color?
        >
        > Brian
        >
        > Dave Eggleston wrote:
        >
        > > Spectacular photo. Clifton (Austin) station,
        > Silver
        > > State sitting on the main, looking north, probably
        > > 1905-1910--given the knuckle couplers. Boxcar 106
        > or
        > > 256 next to it on the station siding. Note the
        > light
        > > lining--the car was black with silver lining
        > around
        > > this time I believe. Austin is up the hill to the
        > > right 1 mile.
        > >
        > > There are other photos of the car with bunting at
        > > Battle Mountain from the same period--perhaps the
        > same
        > > event? I don't know what but what a great shot!
        > >
        > > Dave Eggleston
        > > --- Brian Norden <bnorden49@...> wrote:
        > > > I have up loaded a scan of another photo that I
        > > > picked up the other
        > > > year. This one appears to be of Nevada
        > Central's
        > > > "Silver State" in
        > > > better years. I have no information about the
        > > > photo. It appears that
        > > > it is decorated for some special occasion.
        > > >
        > > > Brian Norden

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dave Eggleston
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
          Hopefully you won't restore 253 with the board along
          the bottom edge (apparently placed to prevent rail and
          scrap from breaking through the siding when braking)
          or the broken siding boards!

          Dave

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
            I think  the Silver State was painted  black around 1895 or so and was repainted a dark red at the turn of the century, give or take a year. The car has  automatic couplers and air brakes in the photo, so after 1900 I think.
            Greg Maxwell
          • Randall Hees
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
              The restoration of 253 is some years away. We are just completeing the
              first of the 10 ton boxcars, SPC 472, including the new trucks. After 472
              we will do a quick clean up and repaint for SP 10 (Carter 1880, heavly
              rebuilt by SP after 1942) and revisit SP 1010, our combine. We plan to
              finish the interior details and make a correct set of 10 ton leaf spring
              passenger trucks.

              253 needs 8 ton trucks, which are a ways off.

              Randy