Re: [NVnarrowgauge] another photo

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
      Dave,

      Thanks for the information.

      Black is an unusual color! Could it be some other dark color?

      Brian

      Dave Eggleston wrote:

      > Spectacular photo. Clifton (Austin) station, Silver
      > State sitting on the main, looking north, probably
      > 1905-1910--given the knuckle couplers. Boxcar 106 or
      > 256 next to it on the station siding. Note the light
      > lining--the car was black with silver lining around
      > this time I believe. Austin is up the hill to the
      > right 1 mile.
      >
      > There are other photos of the car with bunting at
      > Battle Mountain from the same period--perhaps the same
      > event? I don't know what but what a great shot!
      >
      > Dave Eggleston
      > --- Brian Norden <bnorden49@...> wrote:
      > > I have up loaded a scan of another photo that I
      > > picked up the other
      > > year. This one appears to be of Nevada Central's
      > > "Silver State" in
      > > better years. I have no information about the
      > > photo. It appears that
      > > it is decorated for some special occasion.
      > >
      > > Brian Norden

    • Randall Hees
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
        I was thinking it was 253, but, we always try to be skeptical of "gifts",
        even when they come from Brian...

        By the way, the SPCRR just acquired a boxcar built by John Hammond, as were
        the original cars for Lake Tahoe and the Tonapah RR narrow gauge cars (this
        one was built for the Pajaro Valley RR) We are looking for any information
        on Hammond built cars.

        Randy Hees

      • Dave Eggleston
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
          My comment is from memory, I'd need to look at the
          CSRM documentation at home. I do believe it was black
          with silver lining at that time; it was also
          battleship gray at another time. An unusual car in
          many ways.

          Would it be possible to purchase a copy of the print
          from you?

          Dave
          --- Brian Norden <bnorden49@...> wrote:
          > Dave,
          >
          > Thanks for the information.
          >
          > Black is an unusual color! Could it be some other
          > dark color?
          >
          > Brian
          >
          > Dave Eggleston wrote:
          >
          > > Spectacular photo. Clifton (Austin) station,
          > Silver
          > > State sitting on the main, looking north, probably
          > > 1905-1910--given the knuckle couplers. Boxcar 106
          > or
          > > 256 next to it on the station siding. Note the
          > light
          > > lining--the car was black with silver lining
          > around
          > > this time I believe. Austin is up the hill to the
          > > right 1 mile.
          > >
          > > There are other photos of the car with bunting at
          > > Battle Mountain from the same period--perhaps the
          > same
          > > event? I don't know what but what a great shot!
          > >
          > > Dave Eggleston
          > > --- Brian Norden <bnorden49@...> wrote:
          > > > I have up loaded a scan of another photo that I
          > > > picked up the other
          > > > year. This one appears to be of Nevada
          > Central's
          > > > "Silver State" in
          > > > better years. I have no information about the
          > > > photo. It appears that
          > > > it is decorated for some special occasion.
          > > >
          > > > Brian Norden

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Dave Eggleston
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
            Hopefully you won't restore 253 with the board along
            the bottom edge (apparently placed to prevent rail and
            scrap from breaking through the siding when braking)
            or the broken siding boards!

            Dave

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
              I think  the Silver State was painted  black around 1895 or so and was repainted a dark red at the turn of the century, give or take a year. The car has  automatic couplers and air brakes in the photo, so after 1900 I think.
              Greg Maxwell
            • Randall Hees
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
                The restoration of 253 is some years away. We are just completeing the
                first of the 10 ton boxcars, SPC 472, including the new trucks. After 472
                we will do a quick clean up and repaint for SP 10 (Carter 1880, heavly
                rebuilt by SP after 1942) and revisit SP 1010, our combine. We plan to
                finish the interior details and make a correct set of 10 ton leaf spring
                passenger trucks.

                253 needs 8 ton trucks, which are a ways off.

                Randy