RE: [NVnarrowgauge] another photo

  • Dave Eggleston
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
      Randy:

      I believe 253 is trailing the diesel in the first
      photo Brian posted. There's an excellent Kindig side
      view of 253 that you probably already know which shows
      excellent detail of the car in 1937/8--his son is
      standing by it.

      Dave
      --- Randall Hees <hees@...> wrote:
      > Brian,
      >
      > Are there any photos of boxcar NC 253 in the album?
      > We continue to look
      > for photos of the car to support the restoration.
      >
      > Randy Hees

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dave Eggleston
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
        Spectacular photo. Clifton (Austin) station, Silver
        State sitting on the main, looking north, probably
        1905-1910--given the knuckle couplers. Boxcar 106 or
        256 next to it on the station siding. Note the light
        lining--the car was black with silver lining around
        this time I believe. Austin is up the hill to the
        right 1 mile.

        There are other photos of the car with bunting at
        Battle Mountain from the same period--perhaps the same
        event? I don't know what but what a great shot!

        Dave Eggleston

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
          Randy,

          Both photos were bought at different times from different parties through
          eBay.

          The other photos being offered at the time of the locomotive view were
          typical family vacation photos. Nothing else from Nevada was being offered.

          I can do a high-resolution of the view of the box car coupled to the
          locomotive. Contact me directly.

          Brian

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
            Dave,

            Thanks for the information.

            Black is an unusual color! Could it be some other dark color?

            Brian

            Dave Eggleston wrote:

            > Spectacular photo. Clifton (Austin) station, Silver
            > State sitting on the main, looking north, probably
            > 1905-1910--given the knuckle couplers. Boxcar 106 or
            > 256 next to it on the station siding. Note the light
            > lining--the car was black with silver lining around
            > this time I believe. Austin is up the hill to the
            > right 1 mile.
            >
            > There are other photos of the car with bunting at
            > Battle Mountain from the same period--perhaps the same
            > event? I don't know what but what a great shot!
            >
            > Dave Eggleston
            > --- Brian Norden <bnorden49@...> wrote:
            > > I have up loaded a scan of another photo that I
            > > picked up the other
            > > year. This one appears to be of Nevada Central's
            > > "Silver State" in
            > > better years. I have no information about the
            > > photo. It appears that
            > > it is decorated for some special occasion.
            > >
            > > Brian Norden

          • Randall Hees
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
              I was thinking it was 253, but, we always try to be skeptical of "gifts",
              even when they come from Brian...

              By the way, the SPCRR just acquired a boxcar built by John Hammond, as were
              the original cars for Lake Tahoe and the Tonapah RR narrow gauge cars (this
              one was built for the Pajaro Valley RR) We are looking for any information
              on Hammond built cars.

              Randy Hees

            • Dave Eggleston
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
                My comment is from memory, I'd need to look at the
                CSRM documentation at home. I do believe it was black
                with silver lining at that time; it was also
                battleship gray at another time. An unusual car in
                many ways.

                Would it be possible to purchase a copy of the print
                from you?

                Dave
                --- Brian Norden <bnorden49@...> wrote:
                > Dave,
                >
                > Thanks for the information.
                >
                > Black is an unusual color! Could it be some other
                > dark color?
                >
                > Brian
                >
                > Dave Eggleston wrote:
                >
                > > Spectacular photo. Clifton (Austin) station,
                > Silver
                > > State sitting on the main, looking north, probably
                > > 1905-1910--given the knuckle couplers. Boxcar 106
                > or
                > > 256 next to it on the station siding. Note the
                > light
                > > lining--the car was black with silver lining
                > around
                > > this time I believe. Austin is up the hill to the
                > > right 1 mile.
                > >
                > > There are other photos of the car with bunting at
                > > Battle Mountain from the same period--perhaps the
                > same
                > > event? I don't know what but what a great shot!
                > >
                > > Dave Eggleston
                > > --- Brian Norden <bnorden49@...> wrote:
                > > > I have up loaded a scan of another photo that I
                > > > picked up the other
                > > > year. This one appears to be of Nevada
                > Central's
                > > > "Silver State" in
                > > > better years. I have no information about the
                > > > photo. It appears that
                > > > it is decorated for some special occasion.
                > > >
                > > > Brian Norden

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Dave Eggleston
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
                  Hopefully you won't restore 253 with the board along
                  the bottom edge (apparently placed to prevent rail and
                  scrap from breaking through the siding when braking)
                  or the broken siding boards!

                  Dave

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
                    I think  the Silver State was painted  black around 1895 or so and was repainted a dark red at the turn of the century, give or take a year. The car has  automatic couplers and air brakes in the photo, so after 1900 I think.
                    Greg Maxwell
                  • Randall Hees
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
                      The restoration of 253 is some years away. We are just completeing the
                      first of the 10 ton boxcars, SPC 472, including the new trucks. After 472
                      we will do a quick clean up and repaint for SP 10 (Carter 1880, heavly
                      rebuilt by SP after 1942) and revisit SP 1010, our combine. We plan to
                      finish the interior details and make a correct set of 10 ton leaf spring
                      passenger trucks.

                      253 needs 8 ton trucks, which are a ways off.

                      Randy