another photo

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
      I have up loaded a scan of another photo that I picked up the other
      year. This one appears to be of Nevada Central's "Silver State" in
      better years. I have no information about the photo. It appears that
      it is decorated for some special occasion.

      Brian Norden
    • Randall Hees
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
        Brian,

        Are there any photos of boxcar NC 253 in the album? We continue to look
        for photos of the car to support the restoration.

        Randy Hees

      • Dave Eggleston
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
          Randy:

          I believe 253 is trailing the diesel in the first
          photo Brian posted. There's an excellent Kindig side
          view of 253 that you probably already know which shows
          excellent detail of the car in 1937/8--his son is
          standing by it.

          Dave
          --- Randall Hees <hees@...> wrote:
          > Brian,
          >
          > Are there any photos of boxcar NC 253 in the album?
          > We continue to look
          > for photos of the car to support the restoration.
          >
          > Randy Hees

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Dave Eggleston
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
            Spectacular photo. Clifton (Austin) station, Silver
            State sitting on the main, looking north, probably
            1905-1910--given the knuckle couplers. Boxcar 106 or
            256 next to it on the station siding. Note the light
            lining--the car was black with silver lining around
            this time I believe. Austin is up the hill to the
            right 1 mile.

            There are other photos of the car with bunting at
            Battle Mountain from the same period--perhaps the same
            event? I don't know what but what a great shot!

            Dave Eggleston

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
              Randy,

              Both photos were bought at different times from different parties through
              eBay.

              The other photos being offered at the time of the locomotive view were
              typical family vacation photos. Nothing else from Nevada was being offered.

              I can do a high-resolution of the view of the box car coupled to the
              locomotive. Contact me directly.

              Brian

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
                Dave,

                Thanks for the information.

                Black is an unusual color! Could it be some other dark color?

                Brian

                Dave Eggleston wrote:

                > Spectacular photo. Clifton (Austin) station, Silver
                > State sitting on the main, looking north, probably
                > 1905-1910--given the knuckle couplers. Boxcar 106 or
                > 256 next to it on the station siding. Note the light
                > lining--the car was black with silver lining around
                > this time I believe. Austin is up the hill to the
                > right 1 mile.
                >
                > There are other photos of the car with bunting at
                > Battle Mountain from the same period--perhaps the same
                > event? I don't know what but what a great shot!
                >
                > Dave Eggleston
                > --- Brian Norden <bnorden49@...> wrote:
                > > I have up loaded a scan of another photo that I
                > > picked up the other
                > > year. This one appears to be of Nevada Central's
                > > "Silver State" in
                > > better years. I have no information about the
                > > photo. It appears that
                > > it is decorated for some special occasion.
                > >
                > > Brian Norden

              • Randall Hees
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 16, 2004
                  I was thinking it was 253, but, we always try to be skeptical of "gifts",
                  even when they come from Brian...

                  By the way, the SPCRR just acquired a boxcar built by John Hammond, as were
                  the original cars for Lake Tahoe and the Tonapah RR narrow gauge cars (this
                  one was built for the Pajaro Valley RR) We are looking for any information
                  on Hammond built cars.

                  Randy Hees

                • Dave Eggleston
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
                    My comment is from memory, I'd need to look at the
                    CSRM documentation at home. I do believe it was black
                    with silver lining at that time; it was also
                    battleship gray at another time. An unusual car in
                    many ways.

                    Would it be possible to purchase a copy of the print
                    from you?

                    Dave
                    --- Brian Norden <bnorden49@...> wrote:
                    > Dave,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the information.
                    >
                    > Black is an unusual color! Could it be some other
                    > dark color?
                    >
                    > Brian
                    >
                    > Dave Eggleston wrote:
                    >
                    > > Spectacular photo. Clifton (Austin) station,
                    > Silver
                    > > State sitting on the main, looking north, probably
                    > > 1905-1910--given the knuckle couplers. Boxcar 106
                    > or
                    > > 256 next to it on the station siding. Note the
                    > light
                    > > lining--the car was black with silver lining
                    > around
                    > > this time I believe. Austin is up the hill to the
                    > > right 1 mile.
                    > >
                    > > There are other photos of the car with bunting at
                    > > Battle Mountain from the same period--perhaps the
                    > same
                    > > event? I don't know what but what a great shot!
                    > >
                    > > Dave Eggleston
                    > > --- Brian Norden <bnorden49@...> wrote:
                    > > > I have up loaded a scan of another photo that I
                    > > > picked up the other
                    > > > year. This one appears to be of Nevada
                    > Central's
                    > > > "Silver State" in
                    > > > better years. I have no information about the
                    > > > photo. It appears that
                    > > > it is decorated for some special occasion.
                    > > >
                    > > > Brian Norden

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Dave Eggleston
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
                      Hopefully you won't restore 253 with the board along
                      the bottom edge (apparently placed to prevent rail and
                      scrap from breaking through the siding when braking)
                      or the broken siding boards!

                      Dave

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
                        I think  the Silver State was painted  black around 1895 or so and was repainted a dark red at the turn of the century, give or take a year. The car has  automatic couplers and air brakes in the photo, so after 1900 I think.
                        Greg Maxwell
                      • Randall Hees
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 18, 2004
                          The restoration of 253 is some years away. We are just completeing the
                          first of the 10 ton boxcars, SPC 472, including the new trucks. After 472
                          we will do a quick clean up and repaint for SP 10 (Carter 1880, heavly
                          rebuilt by SP after 1942) and revisit SP 1010, our combine. We plan to
                          finish the interior details and make a correct set of 10 ton leaf spring
                          passenger trucks.

                          253 needs 8 ton trucks, which are a ways off.

                          Randy