Re: B/W photos of SP Roundhouse / Nv Central RR / A.C.Ry

  • ovalist
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19, 2003
      Hello all, I would like to say thanx to those of you that showed and
      interest in the SP and NC b&w photos, still have a few left if anyone
      missed out. FYI, I now have the last 5x7 glass negative being
      printed to 8x10 b&w, and they should be done by Friday, July 25th.
      This one is of the Austin City Railway circa 1890's-1900 (Dave maybe
      you could help me out here so that I may ammend this post), as I
      stated earlier I am a V&T RR modeler so I am not well versed on the
      SP: NC. or AC RY. It was stated to me that this road was
      nicknamed "the mules relief" and connected to the Nevada Central. As
      before, If anyone might be interested in this photo or the SP or NCRR
      photos, please contact me of the list.
      Thanx again,
      Rick
      GenSuptCCShops@...

      --- In NVnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "ovalist" <GenSuptCCShops@j...>
      wrote:
      > I am currently in the process of having some of my old 5x7 glass
      > negatives printed to 8x10 b&w's. Each print will be from the
      > original. Two of the negatives are 1902-04? views of the Southern
      > Pacific 40 stall Roundhouse, Shops and Offices, under construction
      in
      > Sparks. The other is a 1900 view of the Nevada Central at Battle
      > Mountain. I can't be certain, but possibly this could be the first
      > time these negatives have ever had prints made from them, as other
      > sources have told me that they have never seen these views in their
      > archives. I also have a few b&w 5x7 proofs of each negative. If
      > interested please contact me of the list.
      > Rick
    • Dave Eggleston
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2003
        I'll need to see that Austin City picture to give a
        date--and that'll be an estimate based on whether the
        engine has a full dummy cab or just the rear section.

        The ~2 mile Austin City line ran somewhat actively
        from 1880 (mule powered the first year) to 1888,
        hauling goods up the 7.5% grade from the Nevada
        Central terminus. Tracks were finally removed in 1894.
        The engine arrived in 1881, a BLW 0-4-2 dummy with
        "Mules Relief" boldly painted across the sides. One of
        the original mules apparently died of a broken heart
        upon seeing the engine, or so claims the paper.

        Dummy cab destroyed in a rollover in 1882 and rebuilt
        within 4 months to original configuration, then most
        of it burned off in an enginehouse fire in early 1887,
        with the remaining rear third becoming the new cab.
        Most photos show this configuration--7 or 8 at least,
        all taken by Crockwell in Aug/Sept 1887. The engine
        was stored at Battle Mountain by 1896-ish and
        ultimately ended up in Idaho around WWI.

        I'll be interersted to see what that print is!

        Dave

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com