B/W photos of SPRR & Nv Central RR

  • ovalist
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 21, 2003
      I am currently in the process of having some of my old 5x7 glass
      negatives printed to 8x10 b&w's. Each print will be from the
      original. Two of the negatives are 1902-04? views of the Southern
      Pacific 40 stall Roundhouse, Shops and Offices, under construction in
      Sparks. The other is a 1900 view of the Nevada Central at Battle
      Mountain. I can't be certain, but possibly this could be the first
      time these negatives have ever had prints made from them, as other
      sources have told me that they have never seen these views in their
      archives. I also have a few b&w 5x7 proofs of each negative. If
      interested please contact me of the list.
      Rick
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2003
        To ovalist:

        Noticed that you joined the list back in March, but this is the first item that
        you posted.

        Can you discribe the Battle Mountain view and who you are? I might be interested
        in the photo if more is know about it.

        Brian Norden

        ovalist wrote:

        > I am currently in the process of having some of my old 5x7 glass
        > negatives printed to 8x10 b&w's. Each print will be from the
        > original. Two of the negatives are 1902-04? views of the Southern
        > Pacific 40 stall Roundhouse, Shops and Offices, under construction in
        > Sparks. The other is a 1900 view of the Nevada Central at Battle
        > Mountain. I can't be certain, but possibly this could be the first
        > time these negatives have ever had prints made from them, as other
        > sources have told me that they have never seen these views in their
        > archives. I also have a few b&w 5x7 proofs of each negative. If
        > interested please contact me of the list.
        > Rick

      • Richard Engels
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 23, 2003
          Hello Brian, and thanx for the inquiry, well to start off, I am basically
          a V&TRR modeler, so I don't have much to post regarding narow gauge. I
          simply came across these old Nevada glass negatives and thought I would
          print a few of them to see the actual contents, and offer a few to recover
          my costs. I currently have a few 5x7's proof prints at 10.00 ea, and a few
          8x10 prints at 19.00 ea (postpaid). In the photo is a block of buildings,
          one reads BLOSSOM & BLOSSOM and under that is another sign that reads THE
          COPPER WAGON , beside it is the GOLD NOTE SALOON. There are 3 men leaning
          on the post in front of this establishment. A building further down reads
          the NEVADA HOTEL. There are also two other buildings one of them has a sign
          that reads MERCHANDISE. Past that is a large windmill and a water tower,
          possibly on a railroad spur line. In the center is the NC train under fire
          and sitting at the Battle Mountain Depot with a string of box cars. On the
          other side of the station is a single box car.
          Also, this is what I was told regarding the history on the
          original glass negs I now own. They were originally taken between 1900-05
          by a free lance photographer named Clifford who took photos with in Nevada,
          when ever he had the oportunity to travel. He studied his photography
          efforts under the better known photographer J. Crockwell. Clifford resided
          and owned a partnership in the Dalton & Clifford Drug Store in the town of
          Austin, Nevada. He moved to Reno in 1905 and died soon after. This info
          came from his grandson, who had sold the negatives. From what I have been
          told, none of these negs. were ever printed or distributed, and in my
          inquiries to various collectors and Nevada agencies, none of them has ever
          seem these photos before. I also have a neg from the same photographer of
          the austin city railroad in austin, nv. and if I can find it, I may make a
          few prints of it as well. I think the road connected to the Nv Central at
          some point.

          Regards,

          Rick
          http://www.comstockcarshops.com/cchome.html

          At 10:44 PM 6/22/03 -0700, you wrote:
          >To ovalist:
          >
          >Noticed that you joined the list back in March, but this is the first item
          >that
          >you posted.
          >
          >Can you discribe the Battle Mountain view and who you are? I might be
          >interested
          >in the photo if more is know about it.
          >
          >Brian Norden
          >
          >ovalist wrote:
          >
          > > I am currently in the process of having some of my old 5x7 glass
          > > negatives printed to 8x10 b&w's. Each print will be from the
          > > original. Two of the negatives are 1902-04? views of the Southern
          > > Pacific 40 stall Roundhouse, Shops and Offices, under construction in
          > > Sparks. The other is a 1900 view of the Nevada Central at Battle
          > > Mountain. I can't be certain, but possibly this could be the first
          > > time these negatives have ever had prints made from them, as other
          > > sources have told me that they have never seen these views in their
          > > archives. I also have a few b&w 5x7 proofs of each negative. If
          > > interested please contact me of the list.
          > > Rick
          > >

          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705073027:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164784&partid=3170658>21e2eb.jpg
          >
          >21e417.jpg

        • Dave Eggleston
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 23, 2003
            Richard:

            A few questions about the NC photo as I would be
            interested, too. I assume the engine is pointing at
            the photographer. On which side of the train is the
            station--left or right? What is the wheel arrangement
            of the engine? Can you read a number?

            Thanks,
            Dave

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Richard Engels
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 23, 2003
              Hello Dave, yes the engine is facing the camera......the depot is on the
              right side of the train with a single box car to the left of the
              depot......I can't read the loco #.......It appears to be either a 4-4-0 or
              2-6-0 but then again it is facing forward.
              Rick

            • ovalist
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 19, 2003
                Hello all, I would like to say thanx to those of you that showed and
                interest in the SP and NC b&w photos, still have a few left if anyone
                missed out. FYI, I now have the last 5x7 glass negative being
                printed to 8x10 b&w, and they should be done by Friday, July 25th.
                This one is of the Austin City Railway circa 1890's-1900 (Dave maybe
                you could help me out here so that I may ammend this post), as I
                stated earlier I am a V&T RR modeler so I am not well versed on the
                SP: NC. or AC RY. It was stated to me that this road was
                nicknamed "the mules relief" and connected to the Nevada Central. As
                before, If anyone might be interested in this photo or the SP or NCRR
                photos, please contact me of the list.
                Thanx again,
                Rick
                GenSuptCCShops@...

                --- In NVnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, "ovalist" <GenSuptCCShops@j...>
                wrote:
                > I am currently in the process of having some of my old 5x7 glass
                > negatives printed to 8x10 b&w's. Each print will be from the
                > original. Two of the negatives are 1902-04? views of the Southern
                > Pacific 40 stall Roundhouse, Shops and Offices, under construction
                in
                > Sparks. The other is a 1900 view of the Nevada Central at Battle
                > Mountain. I can't be certain, but possibly this could be the first
                > time these negatives have ever had prints made from them, as other
                > sources have told me that they have never seen these views in their
                > archives. I also have a few b&w 5x7 proofs of each negative. If
                > interested please contact me of the list.
                > Rick
              • Dave Eggleston
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 22, 2003
                  I'll need to see that Austin City picture to give a
                  date--and that'll be an estimate based on whether the
                  engine has a full dummy cab or just the rear section.

                  The ~2 mile Austin City line ran somewhat actively
                  from 1880 (mule powered the first year) to 1888,
                  hauling goods up the 7.5% grade from the Nevada
                  Central terminus. Tracks were finally removed in 1894.
                  The engine arrived in 1881, a BLW 0-4-2 dummy with
                  "Mules Relief" boldly painted across the sides. One of
                  the original mules apparently died of a broken heart
                  upon seeing the engine, or so claims the paper.

                  Dummy cab destroyed in a rollover in 1882 and rebuilt
                  within 4 months to original configuration, then most
                  of it burned off in an enginehouse fire in early 1887,
                  with the remaining rear third becoming the new cab.
                  Most photos show this configuration--7 or 8 at least,
                  all taken by Crockwell in Aug/Sept 1887. The engine
                  was stored at Battle Mountain by 1896-ish and
                  ultimately ended up in Idaho around WWI.

                  I'll be interersted to see what that print is!

                  Dave

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com