Bodie & Benton

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
      Gents,
      I'm not sure if the Bodie & Benton should be included in either the
      Northern California or the Nevada ng groups. Maybe it does not fit with
      either. But here goes:

      I recently had the opportunity to view the assessor record books for
      Mono County that are now in the collection of the Mono County Historical
      Society. These go back into the 1870s.

      I looked at several different years and made notes about the Bodie &
      Benton Railway & Commercial Company. Primarily, the assessor's books
      listed the deeded land and then noted other improvements or possessions
      that were being taxed. So for the Bode & Benton Railway & Commercial
      Company the lumber holdings are listed by Government land section or
      portion of section and then at the end of the listing the locomotives,
      cars, track, telegraph line, buildings, furniture, tools, etc. was
      listed.

      Here are the entries that I noted (information is not inclusive [I left
      out the furniture, machinery lump sum listings]):
      1882:
      31-3/4 miles of track
      2 water stations & office
      2280 feet of side track
      1 steamer $500
      40 flat cars $8,500
      3 iron cars $90
      3 hand cars $120
      3 locomotives $12,000

      1884:
      28 miles of telegraph lines
      32 miles of main track
      2 miles of temp. track
      2 engine houses $600
      1 steamer $250
      4 locomotives $10,000
      52 flat cars $7,800
      push and hand cars $160

      1889:
      4 locomotives $5,000
      52 flat cars $5,200
      6 hand & push cars $75

      1890:
      32 miles of railroad track + 2 miles side track
      31 miles of telephone line
      48 flat cars $4,800
      4 locomotives $5,000
      4 push cars $50

      1892:
      32 miles of railroad track + 2 miles side track
      31 miles of telephone line
      48 flat cars $4,800
      4 locomotives $5,000
      1 push car $12

      1894
      48 flat cars
      4 locomotives
      1 push car

      1896
      20 miles of telephone line
      4 locomotives $5,000
      48 flat cars $4,800
      1 hand car $12

      1897 & 1898
      34 miles railroad running from town of Bodie to Company's saw mill s. of
      Mono Lake
      4 locomotives $4,000
      48 flat cars $4,800
      1 hand car $12
      20 miles telephone line

      1899
      28 miles of telephone line
      4 locomotives $3,000
      46 flat cars $4,600
      1 hand cars $12

      1900 (Bodie R.R. & Land Co.)
      3 locomotives $2,250
      46 flat cars $4,600
      1 hand car $12

      1902 (Bodie R.R. & Lumber Co.)
      3 locomotives $2,250
      46 flat car $4,600
      1 hand car $12

      My recording started with the 1897 entry and then worked backward and
      forward.

      The change in locomotives in 1900 is because engine TYBO was sold to the
      Inyo Development Co. The Inyo Development records indicate that the
      engine was hauled overland to Hawthorne, Nevada, by way of Sweetwater.

      Brian Norden
    • darney@attglobal.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
        Brian:
        Great information, I think this belongs to both groups, the
        railroad was entirely in California, but close ties were maintained with
        the V&T and C&C throughout the years. The V&T built most of the rolling
        stock and the Inyo and the Mono were ordered from the Union Iron
        works ( Prescott Scott & Co.)
        by H. M. Yerington of the V&T, and most of the heavy maintenance was
        done at Carson by the V&T. (They were ordered as 0-6-0's but were
        constantly off the track and and were changed to 2-6-0's by the V&T)

        JUNE 9 1881 CARSON APPEAL
        Forty flat cars are now being made at the V.& T. car shops for
        the Bodie & Mono Lake Railroad. They are built expressly for carrying
        lumber to Bodie for the mines. This looks as if the Bodie people expect
        to do considerable developing this year.
        **************************
        SEPTEMBER 10 1881 Nevada Tribune
        The V.& T. Machine Shops.
        The work in the machine shop goes on steadily. (PART)
        Thirty cars for the Bodie railroad have already been sent to the front
        and an order for ten more was received yesterday.
        ********************************
        V.& T. R. R.
        D. O. Mills Esq. Carson City Nevada
        October 31 1881
        New York

        My Dear Mr. Mills:-
        Prescott Scott & Co.will ship second engine on Thursday, the other one
        is at Bodie & I think will prove to be a good machine. Have sent north
        10 more flat cars (40 in all) so she will be well filled on rolling
        stock. (The V&T shops built the flat cars for the Bodie road.)
        Very truly yours
        H. M. Yerington General manager

        Dale Darney
      • Michael Lee