Re: [NVnarrowgauge] Re: Nevada Central / Stockton & Ione boxcar

  • Dave Eggleston
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2002
      --- EANDPNG@... wrote:
      > Dave,
      > I had always assumed that all five cars started out
      > as flat cars. Did you try
      > and find the third car / shed? My friend from
      > Austin, Wally Trapnell and I
      > looked for it at Watts but there was no sign. Sharon
      > Taylor told me that it
      > had been moved to the Valley of the Moon. I plan to
      > look for it the next time
      > I get to go down, maybe next fall. Did you find any
      > thing else on your trip?
      > Greg

      Lyman Bridges records receiving 2 flats and 3 boxcars
      in his 1879 reports, but they may all have been flats
      to start. I didn't see the car when I visited Watts in
      1998, and I didn't look this time. Watts is close to
      the Valley of the Moon, it would be interesting to
      check out. But if it's in the condition of the Dillon
      car (see attachment), it'll be tough to find. I looked
      at NHS for the 2 Watts photos showing the shed in
      Sharon Taylor's thesis, but no one could find them.

      I did find many interesting NC-related items, though I
      feel you probably already know most of them. At UNR I
      copied about 260 pages of RR communications between
      Hiskey and McCulloch, dating 1926-1938. I also read
      through the letterpress books at UNR and NHS,
      transcribing most RR-related items, dating 1904-1938.
      Great stuff.

      At UNR I ordered 10 photos, mostly Austin-related. Two
      that I'd not seen before. One shows the Manhattan mill
      from a different angle, with the AC tracks in the
      foreground, and another shows the Concentrator, AC
      engine house, with the Union mine above them. These
      are both Crockwell, I believe, so mid-1887.

      At NHS I saw at least 25 photos to order, and that's
      ignoring another 15+ 1935-38 shots of BM. They have a
      really nice side view of motor 102 in original config,
      and a nice one of the NSL motor, head-on. You know the
      ones, I'm sure.

      At NDOT I finally located the AC Ry map. Also found an
      SP valuation map of Battle Mountain, undated, but
      possibly 1912, that shows the NC facilities clearer
      than the ICC maps. And with some variation from the
      ICC map.

      At Battle Mountain I read the tax assessor ledgers,
      1880-1938. They only list property in detail until
      1913, but these fill some gaps in the rosters and
      station listing I've been building.

      Overall a great trip, with excellent weather, lots of
      answers to questions, and at least one good Basque
      meal! Battle Mountain is in full recession and the Owl
      club was dead on Saturday night. Many stores closed,
      though talk of a new gold mining operation is fulling
      some hope for the future. No sign of those SOCo tank
      cars, as you've noted in the past.

      Dave

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 16, 2002
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 16, 2002
          Mark,
          That would be fun. I thought about organizing something like that for folks driving to the Salt Lake N.G. Convention but I had to scrub all my plans when my job went away. The problem is not very many of us live in Nevada. I hope to be down that way next fall some time as I hope to attend the V&T Symposium in Reno.
          Regards,
          Greg Maxwell
        • mark bassett
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 17, 2002
            I was thinking it might be fun to have a central Nevada narrow gauge
            weekend. Maybe go from Battle Mountain to Austin and then over to Eureka and
            back to Palisade.
            Any takers?
            Mark Bassett