Re: [NVnarrowgauge] Re: Nevada Central / Stockton & Ione boxcar

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11 9:11 PM
      Dave,
      I had always assumed that all five cars started out as flat cars. Did you try and find the third car / shed? My friend from Austin, Wally Trapnell and I looked for it at Watts but there was no sign. Sharon Taylor told me that it had been moved to the Valley of the Moon. I plan to look for it the next time I get to go down, maybe next fall. Did you find any thing else on your trip?
      Greg
    • Dave Eggleston
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12 9:10 AM
        --- EANDPNG@... wrote:
        > Dave,
        > I had always assumed that all five cars started out
        > as flat cars. Did you try
        > and find the third car / shed? My friend from
        > Austin, Wally Trapnell and I
        > looked for it at Watts but there was no sign. Sharon
        > Taylor told me that it
        > had been moved to the Valley of the Moon. I plan to
        > look for it the next time
        > I get to go down, maybe next fall. Did you find any
        > thing else on your trip?
        > Greg

        Lyman Bridges records receiving 2 flats and 3 boxcars
        in his 1879 reports, but they may all have been flats
        to start. I didn't see the car when I visited Watts in
        1998, and I didn't look this time. Watts is close to
        the Valley of the Moon, it would be interesting to
        check out. But if it's in the condition of the Dillon
        car (see attachment), it'll be tough to find. I looked
        at NHS for the 2 Watts photos showing the shed in
        Sharon Taylor's thesis, but no one could find them.

        I did find many interesting NC-related items, though I
        feel you probably already know most of them. At UNR I
        copied about 260 pages of RR communications between
        Hiskey and McCulloch, dating 1926-1938. I also read
        through the letterpress books at UNR and NHS,
        transcribing most RR-related items, dating 1904-1938.
        Great stuff.

        At UNR I ordered 10 photos, mostly Austin-related. Two
        that I'd not seen before. One shows the Manhattan mill
        from a different angle, with the AC tracks in the
        foreground, and another shows the Concentrator, AC
        engine house, with the Union mine above them. These
        are both Crockwell, I believe, so mid-1887.

        At NHS I saw at least 25 photos to order, and that's
        ignoring another 15+ 1935-38 shots of BM. They have a
        really nice side view of motor 102 in original config,
        and a nice one of the NSL motor, head-on. You know the
        ones, I'm sure.

        At NDOT I finally located the AC Ry map. Also found an
        SP valuation map of Battle Mountain, undated, but
        possibly 1912, that shows the NC facilities clearer
        than the ICC maps. And with some variation from the
        ICC map.

        At Battle Mountain I read the tax assessor ledgers,
        1880-1938. They only list property in detail until
        1913, but these fill some gaps in the rosters and
        station listing I've been building.

        Overall a great trip, with excellent weather, lots of
        answers to questions, and at least one good Basque
        meal! Battle Mountain is in full recession and the Owl
        club was dead on Saturday night. Many stores closed,
        though talk of a new gold mining operation is fulling
        some hope for the future. No sign of those SOCo tank
        cars, as you've noted in the past.

        Dave

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 16 6:54 PM
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16 7:13 PM
            Mark,
            That would be fun. I thought about organizing something like that for folks driving to the Salt Lake N.G. Convention but I had to scrub all my plans when my job went away. The problem is not very many of us live in Nevada. I hope to be down that way next fall some time as I hope to attend the V&T Symposium in Reno.
            Regards,
            Greg Maxwell
          • mark bassett
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 17 12:29 AM
              I was thinking it might be fun to have a central Nevada narrow gauge
              weekend. Maybe go from Battle Mountain to Austin and then over to Eureka and
              back to Palisade.
              Any takers?
              Mark Bassett