313Re: Velocipedes (velocipedi?)

  • Wendell Huffman
    Jan 5, 2008
      Very interesting. At this point I am sure I could not distinguish a
      Kalamazoo from a Sheffield (having never seen one that I knew was the
      former). The two companies were located only a few miles from each
      other (Sheffield being at Three Rivers), and it is likely that
      employees and design elements moved back and forth. I have pulled the
      various patents issued to each company, but have yet to study them
      sufficiently to distinguish their products.

      When first offered the car we now have I was told one could
      read "Kalamazoo" on it. In fact I can't; I can however clearly make
      out the "Sheffield" and the "Three" of Three Rivers. That said (and
      in light of what you say) I should add that while we know that NC had
      a few Velocipedes, I have yet to see such information that would
      establish whether one or all were Sheffields or Kalamazoos. But, it
      is questions like this that drives me onward. W.

      --- In NVnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com, EANDPNG@... wrote:

      > The E&P had at least one velocipede but as far as I know it was a
      #3.

      > From the E&PRR letter book at UN-R,
      >
      > Pg 230, B.G. to the Kalamazoo Velocipede and Car Co. 5-28-90
      >
      > ?Placing an order for one steel, one seat, No.3 Velocipede.
      >

      > (B.G. is Byron Gillman, E&P gm)
      > Regards,
      > Greg Maxwell

      up around Austin?such as?standard gauge tank cars at a ranch and
      until the early 1970s an E&P boxcar. Could this velocipede have been
      a floating relic from the E&P or Tonapah? It would make a fun
      research project for someone. But I wouldn't call it NC yet.

      > ?
      >
      > There are so few relics of the NC out there. There is a shed near
      Bridges that I believe may have been NC. The Berlin boxcar (Bobtown
      shed) at the Icthyasaur monument. The Carter car at SPCRR. You
      probably won't get the last item (I did try to convince them to paint
      it in 1882 style NC buff when it?got restored?but they didn't bite).
      But the other two items? Sure would be nice to have what's left of
      the Berlin car in safer conditions. That car is?wearing away from
      wind erosion.

      2
      > (former WP) velocipede. This one appears to be a No. 1 (the seat
      > being the only difference that I know of).
      >
      > I do know that NC had several velocipedes at one point. However,
      the
      > 1902 valuation lists only one--a No.2 (and, again, this appears to
      be
      > a No.1). Could this really have sat abandoned from before 1902? Of
      > course, that could explain why it was left out in the desert when
      the
      > line was scrapped. On the other hand, this No.1 may have been
      > acquired after 1902.
      >
      > I hardly know how to date velocipedes. There was little change in
      > these cars from first production in the 1870s/80s through last
      > production after WWII. Wheels changed some (these are wood spoke).
      > Also, the frame of this car only extends a couple inched forward of
      > the front wheel bearing, while the frame on our other (WP) car
      extend
      > past the front wheel to form a convenient handle for lifting it.
      That
      > suggests to me that our "new' car is older than the WP one. (And, I
      > should admit that the evidence that our old one is WP is about as
      > scanty as any claim that this is a Nevada Central).
      >
      > Wendell

      __
      http://webmail.aol.com

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic