      From: NVnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com [mailto:NVnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Brian Norden
      Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 12:24 PM
      To: NVnarrowgauge@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [NVnarrowgauge] C&C and V&T...

      The Carson & Colorado did cross the Walker River near Schurz.  The C&C route in that area was retained when the line was standard gauged and the current railroad in the area follows the same alignment.  The C&C passed into the control of the Southern Pacific in 1900.

      The only significant change to the alignment of the C&C when it was standard gauged (following the Tonopah boom) was to bypass Hawthrone.  There also was an alignment change between Mound House and Dayton.

      Brian Norden

      CARL BJORK wrote:

      I am a retired forest ranger who has been chasing the rock art phenomenon rabbit for 30+ years. I have received a photo of petroglyphs depicting a train in the Schurz area.  Did the C&C cross the river in the Schurz area or was there a trestle in the area? The petroglyph is very faint but the local folks tell me that it is a “train.”  All help is much appreciated…thanks for your time.

      Carl

      Carl A. Bjork

      PO Box 422

      Valley Springs CA