236Re: [NVnarrowgauge] Re: Fuel use on NV narrow gauge railroads

    May 18, 2006
      In a message dated 5/18/2006 6:18:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time, wendellhuffman@... writes:
      I presume the coal came in from Wyoming. How was it transferred at
      Battle Mountain? I presume locomotives could have fueled directly
      from standard gauge cars, but they surely would have had to have
      hauled some coal to Austin.

      There is a nice photo of the E&P coal transfer at Palisade in Myrick
      (p.104).

      Wendell
      Early on the E&P did buy their fuel from the Rocky Mt Coal Co. of Wyoming. After the turn of the century coal was obtained from coal mines in Utah controlled by US Smelting  & Refining Co with whom the E&P and later the EN had a close relationship. The large transfer trestle at Palisade was for transhiping low grade lead ore to the smelter at Midvale, Utah but was also used to transfer coal to the n.g. as well. As to the Timber Suits everything I have learned is from local papers and E&P company records.

      Best regards,