170Re: [NVnarrowgauge] Visit to Santa Clara

    Apr 19 7:39 PM
      Pete,

      Wow, what a loaded question. Many, many places along the way. They all
      depend on what you find interesting.

      Eastern California Museum in Independence, California is a good place to
      find out about the history of the Owens Valley. Up at Laws the museum
      has the old railroad station, agents house and turntable, etc. and many
      moved-in buildings from around the valley.

      Along the way you might think about visiting:
      Nevada State Railroad Museum, Carson City.
      Mineral County Historical Museum, Hawthorne, Nevada.
      California State Railroad Museum, Sacramento.

      Other interesting historical museums can be found in:
      Bridgeport, California
      Bakersfield, California (Kern County Museum)
      Tulare City Museum, Tulare, California.

      If you're a American Automobile Association (AAA) member pick up its
      guide books to California and Nevada.

      Good luck traveling.

      Brian Norden

      Peter M Grace wrote:

      >I am travelling to Santa Clara for the narrow gauge convention in September
      >with a buddy.
      >
      >Afterwards we thought we would drive down to Tehachapi, up the Owens Valley
      >and then to Donner Pass, over a few days.
      >
      >Any suggestions where we can stop and look at museums, operations or even
      >old relics of past railroads would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      >Pete
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic