139Re: [NVnarrowgauge] Re: B/W photos of SP Roundhouse / Nv Central RR / A.C.Ry

  • Dave Eggleston
    Jul 22, 2003
      I'll need to see that Austin City picture to give a
      date--and that'll be an estimate based on whether the
      engine has a full dummy cab or just the rear section.

      The ~2 mile Austin City line ran somewhat actively
      from 1880 (mule powered the first year) to 1888,
      hauling goods up the 7.5% grade from the Nevada
      Central terminus. Tracks were finally removed in 1894.
      The engine arrived in 1881, a BLW 0-4-2 dummy with
      "Mules Relief" boldly painted across the sides. One of
      the original mules apparently died of a broken heart
      upon seeing the engine, or so claims the paper.

      Dummy cab destroyed in a rollover in 1882 and rebuilt
      within 4 months to original configuration, then most
      of it burned off in an enginehouse fire in early 1887,
      with the remaining rear third becoming the new cab.
      Most photos show this configuration--7 or 8 at least,
      all taken by Crockwell in Aug/Sept 1887. The engine
      was stored at Battle Mountain by 1896-ish and
      ultimately ended up in Idaho around WWI.

      I'll be interersted to see what that print is!

      Dave

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic