Re: Attempt to use VNC1-A converter on RNX-GX4 Router

  • Tom Biery
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2010
    photo I left off is attached this time...

    Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
      Re: [NUE-PSK] Re: Attempt to use VNC1-A converter on RNX-GX4 Router [1 Attachment] Hi Tom,

      I applaud the adventure of hacking a serial port into your Router to send it various log and control information from the PC (I assume).

      But in order to now utilize the VNC1L chip in order to connect with USB devices, you will need to send it various commands to put the chip into the right mode for data transfer, and then essentially command and monitor the data flow on a byte-by-byte basis.  It is not like a simple standalone chip like the MAX232 level converter.  For example, the dsPIC controller on our NUE-PSK modem integrally communicates with the VNCL1 chip on the USB card to control the transfer of data to/from the PC plugged into the square “B-style” connector, as well as control it (differently) for data to/from the flash drive plugged into the rectangular “A-style” connector.

      It’s not hard to do once you get your head around the VNC1L data sheet commands, modes and options, but you will need some kind of a programmable controller to do this.  And generally it will need to be “in between” the router and the USB chip, unless you can directly reprogram your router controller to do this as we do with the NUE-PSK modem.

      73, George N2APB

      From: Tom Biery <judsquare@...>
      Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 15:16:35 -0700 (PDT)
      To: George Heron <n2apb@...>, Milt Cram <w8nue@...>, <NUE-PSK@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [NUE-PSK] Re: Attempt to use VNC1-A converter on RNX-GX4 Router [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Tom Biery included below]

      Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
      Thanks for your encouragement.

      I am studying the VNC1L chip infromation. For now I have it working into the routers Broadcom chip.

      I have the RX and TX tied directly to the router and it is communicating, in that I can log into the router thru the USB port to change configurable parameters of the router etc.  I have attached a picture (disregard the breadboard circuitry in the forground I am just using that for the 5V usb card power supply).

      What I am trying to do is what is called serial tunneling.

      "Serial tunneling" is a name for an exchange of serial data between two computers, typically using the TCP/IP protocol. In network terminology, a "tunnel" is a path that passes data without the sender and receiver having to know or care about the details of the transfer mechanism. "Serial tunneling" was originally coined as a term to describe a method for allowing instruments and computers that were designed to communicate via RS-232 or RS-485 to now communicate via TCP/IP. Its meaning has broadened to encompass a variety of serial data exchanges between instruments via Ethernet or WiFi.

      From: Tom Biery <judsquare@...>
      Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 15:16:35 -0700 (PDT)
      To: George Heron <n2apb@...>, Milt Cram <w8nue@...>, <NUE-PSK@yahoogroups.com>

      Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
        Re: [NUE-PSK] Re: Attempt to use VNC1-A converter on RNX-GX4 Router Hi Tom,

        This is an awesome project!  Thanks for explaining it to us all.

        So you are understandably in the “understanding the VCNCL1 data sheet” phase now.  For what it’s work, it took Milt and me about 2 straight months of daily communications, iterations and trials from concept-to-introduction of the USB capability on the NUE-PSK modem.  Hopefully you can benefit through the use of our open source code used in the modem.  Like many things in life, the complex becomes understandable once the solution is found, and especially if there is an example to follow.  (We are pretty clear with our software comments and organization.)

        73, George N2APB

        From: Tom Biery <judsquare@...>
        Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 15:16:35 -0700 (PDT)
        To: George Heron <n2apb@...>, Milt Cram <w8nue@...>, <NUE-PSK@yahoogroups.com>