Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [NSTC_group] Re: Site Security

Expand Messages
  • Harikrishnan J
    Must be the Chinese ? :-)
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2010
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Must be the Chinese ? :-)

      On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Nanoscience <nstcchat@...> wrote:
       

      Dear David,
      Thanks a lot for your candid query! No, we are not offended at all. We had found out about the problem approximately 4 days ago, and have resolved the issue. Someone had hacked into our website and was posting malware. We can now reassure all those who regularly access our site that they can safely continue to enjoy their online NSTC experience. Any other comments and suggestions will be really welcome.
      Warm regards,
      Moderator



      --- In NSTC_group@yahoogroups.com, "docdeal" <daviddeal@...> wrote:
      >
      > Dear Fellow Nanoscientists,
      >
      > It is with friendliness I approach this subject. I need some reassurance of the safety of the website of NSTC. Please do not be offended.
      >
      > The website in question appears top-notch and looks very professional indeed. It is easy to cruise the site to find helpful information. However upon cliking on one link one of my computer security programs alerted me to the fact that the link could be exploited to attack my computer.
      >
      > Is the safety of the site assured? A question comes to mind: Are only the owners and moderators of the NSTC site allowed to make changes to the links and formats? Such is a primary way to maintain the integrity of the site's safety and security.
      >
      > I really was enjoying the site until that alert appeared. Thought you might wish to be aware of this breacjh and rectify the situation.
      >
      > Sincerely & humbly yours,
      >
      > ddd
      >


    • docdeal
      Dear NSTC, Thanks so much for your kindness. Sometime back on a television newscast the anchor stated that science sites around the world were being targeted
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2010
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        Dear NSTC,

        Thanks so much for your kindness. Sometime back on a television newscast the anchor stated that science sites around the world were being targeted by the bad guys. They are either bad guys or have too much time on their hands.

        Once again I must say the site is very professional and appears to contain great information.

        ddd

        --- In NSTC_group@yahoogroups.com, "Nanoscience" <nstcchat@...> wrote:
        >
        > Dear David,
        > Thanks a lot for your candid query! No, we are not offended at all. We had found out about the problem approximately 4 days ago, and have resolved the issue. Someone had hacked into our website and was posting malware. We can now reassure all those who regularly access our site that they can safely continue to enjoy their online NSTC experience. Any other comments and suggestions will be really welcome.
        > Warm regards,
        > Moderator
        >
        > --- In NSTC_group@yahoogroups.com, "docdeal" <daviddeal@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear Fellow Nanoscientists,
        > >
        > > It is with friendliness I approach this subject. I need some reassurance of the safety of the website of NSTC. Please do not be offended.
        > >
        > > The website in question appears top-notch and looks very professional indeed. It is easy to cruise the site to find helpful information. However upon cliking on one link one of my computer security programs alerted me to the fact that the link could be exploited to attack my computer.
        > >
        > > Is the safety of the site assured? A question comes to mind: Are only the owners and moderators of the NSTC site allowed to make changes to the links and formats? Such is a primary way to maintain the integrity of the site's safety and security.
        > >
        > > I really was enjoying the site until that alert appeared. Thought you might wish to be aware of this breacjh and rectify the situation.
        > >
        > > Sincerely & humbly yours,
        > >
        > > ddd
        > >
        >
      • docdeal
        Could be as you say Harikrishan. Ohter hotspots are Russian, Belarus, the Ukraine, some Eastern European countries, Brazil and as you rightly point out China.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2010
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          Could be as you say Harikrishan. Ohter hotspots are Russian, Belarus, the Ukraine, some Eastern European countries, Brazil and as you rightly point out China. They like to target high internet traffic sites that exchange alot of information. Most of them have a Linux, Unix and Windows computer system combined for optimum advantage. I heard of one hacker that enjoys going into Yahoo or AOL chatrooms just to kick people out. I'll not reveal all my secrets but I tracked him to Brazil. Some use anonymous sites that provide relatively untracable internet activity. however if a gov't with capabilities is tracking them those so-called anonymous activity sites provide little protection.

          By the way how is the nanocomposite & the like going for you? Good I hope.


          ddd



          --- In NSTC_group@yahoogroups.com, Harikrishnan J <harikrishnan.j@...> wrote:
          >
          > Must be the Chinese ? :-)
          >
          > On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Nanoscience <nstcchat@...> wrote:
          >
          > >
          > >
          > > Dear David,
          > > Thanks a lot for your candid query! No, we are not offended at all. We had
          > > found out about the problem approximately 4 days ago, and have resolved the
          > > issue. Someone had hacked into our website and was posting malware. We can
          > > now reassure all those who regularly access our site that they can safely
          > > continue to enjoy their online NSTC experience. Any other comments and
          > > suggestions will be really welcome.
          > > Warm regards,
          > > Moderator
          > >
          > >
          > > --- In NSTC_group@yahoogroups.com <NSTC_group%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "docdeal" <daviddeal@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Dear Fellow Nanoscientists,
          > > >
          > > > It is with friendliness I approach this subject. I need some reassurance
          > > of the safety of the website of NSTC. Please do not be offended.
          > > >
          > > > The website in question appears top-notch and looks very professional
          > > indeed. It is easy to cruise the site to find helpful information. However
          > > upon cliking on one link one of my computer security programs alerted me to
          > > the fact that the link could be exploited to attack my computer.
          > > >
          > > > Is the safety of the site assured? A question comes to mind: Are only the
          > > owners and moderators of the NSTC site allowed to make changes to the links
          > > and formats? Such is a primary way to maintain the integrity of the site's
          > > safety and security.
          > > >
          > > > I really was enjoying the site until that alert appeared. Thought you
          > > might wish to be aware of this breacjh and rectify the situation.
          > > >
          > > > Sincerely & humbly yours,
          > > >
          > > > ddd
          > > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.