Re: [NS-RBA] Cerulean warbler - Halifax Public Gardens

  • P.L. Chalmers
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19, 2012
      After seeing this report I visited the Public Gardens on
      Friday evening after work, from 6:30 until 8:00 p.m. I intended to
      walk through the whole gardens, but went first to the area around the
      goose enclosure where I had seen the Indigo Buntings on 8 May. I
      found so much activity there that I was reluctant to leave to search
      more widely. I found four Indigo Buntings (two male, two female),
      at least four Yellow-rumped Warblers (including the first female I
      have seen this year), a Black-and-White Warbler, a Magnolia Warbler,
      a Black-throated Green Warbler, and a Blackpoll Warbler. The last
      bird I saw was an empid flycatcher lower down near the water. Most
      of these birds were up high in the rapidly-leafing out trees, where
      they were still touched by the late sunshine.

      After I had been there awhile I realized Liz Doull was
      viewing the same area from the far side of the stream. So we compared
      notes, and watched together for some time. Liz had already visited
      the place where Dennis had seen the Cerulean Warbler earlier, and
      found nothing. There are more conifers in the southwest corner of
      the Gardens, and it would have been pretty dark there in the evening.

      The Indigo Buntings have been seen in the same place in the
      Gardens for more than ten days now. Since there was a single record
      of breeding by this species in the recent Atlas, I was wondering if
      these might stay to breed. The two males were singing, but were not
      behaving territorially and in fact were usually together in the same
      tree. They were not interacting in any way with the females.

      Directions:
      The "goose enclosure" is in the northeast quadrant of the
      Public Gardens, closest to the entrance gate at the corner of
      Sackville and South Park streets (across from the CBC Radio
      building). Freshwater Brook flows out from Griffin's Pond,
      resurfacing and flowing down towards the main entrance gate at Spring
      Garden and South Park streets. A portion of the banks on either side
      of the stream is fenced off to form an enclosure, originally for
      swans and now for a goose.

      Patricia L. Chalmers
      Halifax