Greater White-fronted Goose

  • James Hirtle
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2012
      I believe it is safe to post this bird now to the rare bird alert.  This bird was found a little over a week ago at the Back Oler Farm Marsh in Garden Lots by Nicole Wallis.  It tends out from and near the entrance to the Silver Point Road.  It had been present for up to a week before it was found according to locals.  Nicole captured lots of photos and Kevin Lantz was able to get a number of other definitive photos today which have been analysed by Ian.  It looks like a wild bird at this point and I'll let Ian put his comments on about it.  I saw the bird myself today.  It was present early this morning, as seen by Kevin Lantz.  I was there at 11:15 and there was no sign of the goose.  I went back about a half hour later and the bird was back.

      James R. Hirtle
      Bridgewater
    • Joyce Allen
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2012
        The Goose was present again today 3-4 p.m. at Back Oler Marsh as
        reported earlier by James Hirtle.
        Joyce Allen // Mahone Bay
      • ricknsrba
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2012
          I was able to see the bird at Garden Lots Saturday morning 11-11:30 AM. I did find it using James' direction to Silver Point Road, but it was on the NW side of this rather large marsh & I might not have seen it if it hadn't made 2 or 3 short flights. I then moved almost to Schooner Lane (towards Lunenburg), about 610 Blue Rocks Road (this name is just a guess) where the Goose was directly below me. GPS 397495 4913673

          The light was terrible for photos & I'm just posting a few because I can't find any others of this bird. The 2nd & 3rd photos show both legs & I don't think there is any band. The bill seems as orange as the legs/ feet which implies Greenland race ?

          I can't detect any white base ("front") to the bill. Is this a juvenile ?

          The 4th photo shows the expected tail colours, albeit in shade.

          http://rickwhitman.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds-January-March-2012/20950511_VD8zMC#!i=1744017835&k=3RGjLcZ

          Rick Whitman
        • rickwhitmannsrba
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20

            The Greater White-fronted Goose discovered by Jake Walker on April 9th and last reported on April 11th is still in the general Canning area, or has been replaced by another bird. This evening, April 20, this bird was with the many Canada Geese on the W side of Rte 358, barely S of Canning, where the Habitant R. crosses under the highway. As I was able to shoot from the car at that location, I have many photos and could probably supply any detail for subspecies ID. Here is my best photo:

            http://rickwhitman.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds-April-June-2015/i-tQzKkjj/A

            Rick Whitman