Ballina Council - Draft Companion Animals Management Plan

  • lorraine vass
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2010
      Hi all

      Thought this might be of interest and perhaps even response - Ballina Shire Council's Draft – Companion Animals Management Plan (closing date for submissions: Thursday 29 April 2010), which ‘Outlines provisions of companion animal legislation and describes how Council will meet both its responsibilities under the Act and the demands of the local community.’

      The document (1.34MB) is available from http://www.ballina.nsw.gov.au/cmst/ballina004/view_doc.asp?id=305&cat=318

      Regards

      Lorraine

    • Karen Jennison
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2010

        Hello everyone,

        Thanks Lorraine...as usual I find the comments that community involvement and acceptance is of more impact than legislation a statement of the obvious. While it is always nice to know it does not lessen the need for effective legislation.

        On another note: I suppose you all saw the report of the Gold Coast couple who have been fighting for something like 6 years (and around $500,000) to protect their pet dog that GC council issued a destroy order on??  As the couple insisted, the evidence has come in that their dog was in fact an American Staffie and not a Pit Bull as the GC council thought.  Although the dog was secreted away into NSW to ensure its survival, the Supreme Court has determined that the Staffie and the Pit Bull 'looked the same' and it was an acceptable error. Unfortunately the people in possession of Staffies are still likely to suffer horrific costs to provide genetics testing and legal proof of the breed they own.  Apart from the legal issues,  I thought it an interesting case given that the Staffie was caged for 6years awaiting its  day in court.  Are there  limits on caging dogs in kennels?

        Karen