deadheading Mexican hats, greenthread

  • Cannie
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
      Do Mexican Hats and Greenthread respond well to dead-heading?

      Thanks!

      Cannie (San Antonio)

      --
      Sent from my iPhone!
    • KM
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
        I would say NO, they don't.  They put seeds on where the flowers once were and if you cut off the flowers you will be cutting the future seeds as well.  Why would you want to deadhead a wildflower?

        Kathy M.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
          They are in my wildflower garden.

          Cannie

          --
          Sent from my iPhone!

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
              hi, cathy.  thank you for your reply.  i did some googling and apparently, the technique of deadheading can't help but help any flowering plant, so i went ahead and pinched off the mexican hats that were faded and losing petals.  i hope i'll see new growth and buds within the next few days.  i DO know it has helped the indian blankets--- i've got new blooms on that plant every day!

              tell me, do you have any black/brown-eyed susan planted?  are you getting any stalks/buds yet?  all i've got are leaves... lots of large leaves.  no stalks.  several other plants are in the same boat.  i'm probably doing something wrong.  i'm quite inexperienced at this!

              you don't happen to live in san antonio, do you?  i would love to drive by and see your beds!

              anyway, thanks again, cathy.
              --
              Cannie Robbins

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                Hello all,

                Just to add to the pinching back/deadheading debate:  I have a bunch of Mexican Hat growing by my mailbox in my Pineywoods
                yard.  Early every season I pinch back the lot of them and then a few weeks later I will selectively pinch back the front flowers.
                This staggers the bloom time and makes sturdier plants.

                Are you using a fertilizer or a soil amendment with heavy nitrogen?  That will sometimes cause vegetative growth and no flowers.
                Or, is the site a bit shady?

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                  Cannie,
                  One of the greatest things about native plants is:
                  NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
                  Mother nature has been doing it successfully for thousands of years. Your job is to step back & keep out of the way. :-)

                  I am just north of Dallas. My truly native black eyed susans have just gotten buds this week & will flower any day now. The cultivars people buy in nurseries, named varieties with much longer bloom times, have been blooming for a couple weeks.
                  Patience.

                  Cathy Lustgarten

                  A door opened ...
                  and I went through it.
                  Temple Grandin

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                    I'm farther south, between Houston and Austin and the wild Black-Eyed Susans have been in bloom for several weeks now.

                    Kathy M

                    One of the greatest things about native plants is:
                    NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
                    Mother nature has been doing it successfully for thousands of years. Your job is to step back & keep out of the way. :-)

                    I am just north of Dallas. My truly native black eyed susans have just gotten buds this week & will flower any day now. The cultivars people buy in nurseries, named varieties with much longer bloom times, have been blooming for a couple weeks.
                    Patience.

                    Cathy Lustgarten

                    A door opened ... </ span>and I went through it.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010

                      My brown eyed susans are 12 to 14” stalks. No buds yet.

                      I am away from home this weekend, but plan to deadhead my Mex hats and greenthreads when I get back home next week. They have been so leggy in the past, and I am hoping to keep them upright a little more easily this year.

                      Cynthia

                      Denton

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010

                        you don't happen to live in san antonio, do you?  i would love to drive by and see your beds!

                        anyway, thanks again, cathy.

                        --

                        Cannie Robbins

                        Guess I wasn't fully awake when I answered this, so after 2nd cup of coffee, will take this opportunity for a  plug.

                        You could easily have that wish! I am in Denton County, and our NPSOT chapter is hosting the annual symposium Oct. 7-10. We will have an on-your-own home tour among our numerous field trips, and my yard will probably be one of those sites. So mark your calendar now, and we don't want to hear any excuses why you can't come. This 30th anniversary will be one of the most memorable NPSOT symposiums ever.

                        Cathy Lustgarten
                        NPSOT 2010 symposium co-chair
                        Education Committee Chair
                        $ave Texas One Landscape at a Time: Our Native Plants Light the Future
                        www.NPSOT.org/symposium2010
                      • Gary & Kathy
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                          I agree sometimes you have to in a city front landscape in public view to tidy up a bit.  My lanceleaf coreopsis were making my front bed look messy in seedhead stage.  Just pruned them 2 days ago so we shall see if they bloom again.  First year for them to be mature & I was surprised how quick they bloomed and were done.  Maybe because we went from cool and wet to hot and dry overnight.

                          I would love to hear from a horticulturist like Monique about my question.
                          I have heard if the plant has been able to go to mature seed, then it won't respond to deadheading because it did its job to reproduce.  Cut them off before they set seed as soon as the flowers are spent and it somehow knows and blooms again to try to reproduce.
                          Is this true?
                          I do know with Gaillardia pulchella in my yard, if I prune it off while the plant is still fresh before it sets seed too much, it will bloom again.  But if parts are starting to dry, the plant just dies like normal annuals do.
                          And I do know with my Flame Acanthus, late summer the flowers get near their end.  I prune the tops off and in a couple weeks it is in full bloom again as is Salvia greggii.  They actually get stimulated by it.
                          Kathy
                        • Cannie

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                                Cannie,
                                Are you a member of the San Antonio chapter?  I know members from there come to all the symposiums.  http://npsot.org/contacts/chapters.php
                                I'm trying to get my mom up from SA for the symposium but we would fly her here.
                                Do come!
                                You will love the talks and the field trips are fabulous.
                                Check out the website Cathy gave you for the symposium.
                                Kathy S.
                                (who lives a mile from the other Cathy & my yard might also be on the tour)

                                Re: deadheading Mexican hats, greenthread
                                    Posted by: "Cannie"
                                mockingbirdhill@... cannierobbins
                                    Date: Sat Jun 5, 2010 2:47 pm ((PDT))
                                ha ha, ok, no excuses...  seriously, that sounds fun, and my best
                                friend from high school lives in irving, so i could look in on her
                                while i'm up there!  i'm sure there will be others from san antonio
                                driving up there, wouldn't ya' think?
                                --
                                Cannie Robbins
                                mockingbirdhill@...

                              • Cannie
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                                  cool, kathy!  thanks.  my only problem is the length of the symposium-- i don't think i can get enough days off to be there for the whole thing.  I know i can't make it on Thursday... Friday would be my travel day (i could probably arrive by 2)... all day Saturday... and Sunday would be my travel home day.  it will help when i can see a schedule of events.  will there be several events happening simultaneously?

                                  --
                                  Cannie Robbins

                                  mockingbirdhill@ att.net cannierobbins
                                      Date: Sat Jun 5, 2010 2:47 pm ((PDT))
                                  ha ha, ok, no excuses...  seriously, that sounds fun, and my best
                                  friend from high school lives in irving, so i could look in on her
                                  while i'm up there!  i'm sure there will be others from san antonio
                                  driving up there, wouldn't ya' think?
                                  --
                                  Cannie Robbins
                                  mockingbirdhill@ att.net