new member

  • bb09@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 1999
      [This message contained attachments]
    • JyotiK2052@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 1999
        Welcome, Brock!
        I'm a 'newbie' myself; learning a lot and hoping to learn more. The
        information I've gleaned so far from NPSOT-NPAT is so helpful. Hope to hear
        more from you.
        J.
      • coby dinges
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 13, 1999
          Hello everyone! My name is Coby Dinges and I live in Austin, TX. I have
          always been interested in plants, but have really gotten interested in
          natives during the last few years. Initially, I was interested in Ginkgo's
          and Cycads (primitive plants) and this has only expanded. I'm interested in
          butterfly gardening, but will plant most anything if it's native. Recently,
          I've been trying to identify every plant I see. I now see this will take
          the rest of my life. Oh well! I've been reading the archives and am
          looking forward to getting involved in the discussions. Take care. Coby
        • Kelly Bender
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 14, 1999
            Hi Coby!

            Welcome to the list! You've come to the right place to discuss native plant
            identification, propagation, etc. etc. I'm in Austin, also --

            Looking forward to hearing more from you!

            Kelly Bender
            Urban Wildlife Biologist
            Texas Parks and Wildlife
            kelly.bender@...
            http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/plant/wldscape.htm
            <http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/plant/wldscape.htm>

          • coby dinges
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 14, 1999
              Thanks Kelly! I just got through planting some Hop Trees (Ptelea
              trifoliata). I'm trying to do a little at a time. This conversion will
              take a while. Thanks again. Coby

            • Kelly Bender
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 15, 1999
                Interesting! I've always been partial to hoptrees, myself (tho' I usually
                call them "wafer ash.") It's wonderful that you are installing a healthy
                understory -- you'll be rewarded by a wide variety of birds (not just the
                grackles and starlings so prevalent here in "turf-scaped" yards). Are you
                going to throw in some native vines, too? (since you are trying to garden
                for butterflies, I suggest a native passiflora spp.) Tell me (us) a little
                more about your plan -- I love armchair gardening! ;)

              • coby dinges
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 15, 1999
                  Hop trees are one of my favorite as well. They attract Giant Swallowtails
                  to no end. Alot of what I have and will be planting is for a butterfly
                  garden, however I will plant plenty of others as well. There are 2 native
                  Passiflora's already (Passiflora lutea). I found them growing in the yard
                  before I ever knew what they were. Finally one bloomed and gave its secret
                  away. One of the native vines I wish was available for sale is the
                  Aristolochia's (pipe vines). I've been told that Aristolochia erecta and
                  serpentaria are the most common natives around the Austin area, but have
                  never seen any. I also have Rough-leaf Dogwood, Black Dalea, Bitterweed,
                  Flame Acanthus, several Eupatoriums, Indian Mallow and several others.
                  Believe me it's a work in progress. I plan on doing the whole yard at some
                  point trying to put as many different natives as possible. We'll see!

                • Gaye Sekula
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 6, 2001
                    Hello all! My name is Gaye and I am from the San Antonio area. I am very
                    interested in native plants, especially the edible ones. I just joined the list
                    this morning and cannot tell you how happy I am that I found you! Just the few
                    posts I have read have made my heart smile. I, too, have decided not to fight
                    against nature and don't even mind the site of my demolished passion vines. How
                    could it not be worth it to see such an explosion of beautiful
                    butterflies? Besides, it doesn't kill the vine and they are only unsightly for a
                    small amount of time. For some reason, I have no caterpillars on my dill,
                    parsley or fennel...drats! I plan to plant more next year in an attempt to draw
                    them. Actually, I don't have many insects at all, which may be thanks to the
                    purple martins, barn swallows and mockingbirds. Well, that's it for now. I will
                    now sit back and enjoy going through the list archives. Gaye

                  • stevexyz@swbell.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 6, 2001
                      My case with the city of Oak Point was dismised,in Denton county
                      court . So My wild flowers are safe . The Oak Point judge that
                      said she was not interested in higher court ruleing or the constitution
                      is a pointed by the city so she cant be voted out ,the trial
                      was not a court of record so I cant send anyone a cope of the
                      transcript. Thanks for the support
[...]

                      -----
                    • Gaye Sekula
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 9, 2001
                        Hi John! Nice to meet you! There will be a
                        meeting of the San Antonio Chapter of the NPS on the 26th. It's at 7pm at Lion's
                        Field on Broadway. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you more
                        details. The members of the SA chapter bring plants to share and sell for
                        donations so please try to come. We'd love to have you!!! I've only lived in
                        this spot for 3 years so I don't have a lot of plants or seeds to share YET! Hm,
                        well, maybe I do. I'll need to check. Anything in particular that you
                        are looking for? Gaye

                        From: "Gaye Sekula" lgsekula@...

                        To: NPSOT-NPAT@yahoogroups.com

                        Subject: [NPSOT-NPAT] new member

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 9, 2001
                          Does anyone know the reason why frogfruit is called frogfruit?

                          Potentially intriguing...

                          Thanks,

                          Ingrid
                        • John Wiesen
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 9, 2001

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 12, 2001
                              I don't know why it's called "frogfruit" but I originally
                              learned "matchweed" because the flower stalks look like a
                              wooden, "strike anywhere" match. The book that I got that name from
                              was a "weed ID" book but the plant was apparently a different species
                              of the same genus or the plant had since been renamed, I don't know.
                              I'm sure it was printed somewhere other than Texas so I always
                              assumed that it was just a different species.

                              Brad

                              --- In NPSOT-NPAT@y..., Ingrid Karklins <ingrid@l...> wrote:
                              > Does anyone know the reason why frogfruit is called frogfruit?
                              >
                              > Potentially intriguing...
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > Ingrid
                            • Ed
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 12, 2001
                                We have a normally healthy Mimosa tree about 15 feet tall that has suddenly
                                started
                                to drop its leaves....anyone out there have a clue as to what might be
                                wrong?
                                Ed Smith