Drought reports across Texas

  • Gary & Kathy Saucier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2006
      This was from one of NPSOT members on the Texbirds group (thanks Susan).
      Very interesting map to see. We are in really bad shape up in north Texas
      right now. Daily fires too. This will surely even impact many of our
      natives and our spring wildflower show. Many seedlings this fall have dried
      up and died.
      Kathy Saucier

      http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html
    • John Mac Carpenter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2006
        Even here where we are normally dry and are rated as exceptional, after 11 years of real drought and a year and a half of good rains, we have very dry soil, very dry aid, warm temperatures, and long dry grass..........the grass should be dry this time of year and it's wonderful to see it waving everywhere in Pecos, Ward, Crane, Upton, Brewster, Terrell, Reeves and Jeff Davis counties, but it's a tinderbox.............and some days the wind is very strong. Nasty sand storm on New Year's day. Lots of small burns scattered thru the counties but so far none has started on a really windy day. When it does, God knows how far it will go.
        Those of you I was able to see in Ft Davis in October............great to see you. Those I didn't have time to see, sorry, maybe we can all make it next month to Lady Bird's garden.