  • burrhead279706
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2002
      what is this Texbirds of the Texas Orn. Society? as the offspring of
      an ornithologist, I want to know the fieldmarks EHamel used to i.d.
      the bird... and it would have been hauling butt to get past the
      city--an adult eagle probably would not fly over town, knowing humans
      as something to avoid... redtails come to tall buildings to hunt
      pigeons, as do falcons... but eagles are rodent eaters - prairie dogs
      and rabbits. In the winter they will hit larger animals if real
      hungry.

      But, plant stuff... native seed mixes for birds... I doubt that anyone
      produces such a thing,but you can do it yourself. Go mow a patch of
      bird attracting species, like bristle grass, use the bagger on the
      mower, then dump all the chaff over a wire screen and winnow it. It is
      a lot of work. If we use native plants in our landscape, we don't have
      to feed...because we have their favorite plants in the landscape.

      If you feed birds you end up having a zillion house sparrows, house
      finches, doves, blackbirds, and your landscape gets covered with bird
      droppings, and your pets end up getting histoplasmosis from the
      droppings.

      I only feed during cold fronts-- and my year-round resident cardinals,
      pyrrholoxias, canyon towhees love the extra help, and don't mind
      sharing it with the spotted towhees, whitecrowned sparrows, and other
      winter residents. I don't have the hundreds of the above mentioned
      birds... just a pair of finches, a pair each of two species of doves,
      only a half dozen house sparrows, and no blackbirds.I still have the
      Sharpshinned hawk come by to investigate his prey base. (and the
      roadrunner family, too,since they love to eat the wee dickey birds as
      well.)

      I don't feed the hummers either, since I have "beaucoup"
      salvia,tecoma, Poliomintha, stachys, phlomis, anisicanthus,aquilegia,
      lonicera, hesperaloe and more such tubular flowers...
    • Gib Wilson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2002
        Ok. I totally agree. However, some of us semi-city
        and city folk cannot attract, feed with plants
        outside. So we have to compensate. And those of us
        w/ large enough yards, but that haven't started the
        plantings can use it. I also agree only to do it in
        cold months because it teaches them to become
        dependent on the feeder and not nature. Sure you get
        the extras and many undesirables-- but to me it is
        like weeds, one man's stupid sparrow is another's
        delight. And I would never plant a feeder where my
        dogs play and sleep. That would be a front yard
        thing. Or a feeder out of the actual yard.

        Gib

        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
        http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/