*Update: Petition on LAPD illegal-immigrant policy may be falling short

  • Iolmisha@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2008
      One important... omission...
      what is the LEGAL definition of an "illegal Alien Gang Member" or "Banger"?
      well, wide and elusive enough to detain, bust, brutalize and deport Youth for a bag of weed...
      Way to go US Justice !!!

      Source: [latinosineducation]Alberto Gutierrez <beto911@...

      *Update: Petition on LAPD

      illegal-immigrant policy
      may be
      falling short

      8:47 AM, December 5, 2008

      *Updated at 12:40 p.m.
      It's looking less likely that Los Angeles voters will consider sweeping changes to the Los Angeles Police Department policy on dealing with illegal immigrants suspected of crimes.
      The family of slain high school football player Jamiel Shaw and Los Angeles mayoral candidate Walter Moore wanted to place a measure on the May ballot that would allow police to arrest illegal-immigrant gang members even if the officers had not witnessed them committing crimes.

      But according to Moore's website,
      the petition effort is falling short, and today is the deadline. Petitioners have collected 68,000 signatures but need nearly 74,000 to qualify for the ballot.

      Jamiel Shaw Sr. and his wife, Anita, an Army sergeant who has served in Iraq, have called for changes to Police Department policy on gang members suspected of being illegal immigrants.

      They want officers to routinely check the immigration status of known gang
      members who are crime suspects -- which Shaw said would make it easier to immediately deport them.
      Special Order 40
      is a 1979 measure that limits when officers can inquire about the immigration status of crime victims and suspects. It became the subject of intense debate earlier this year after the slaying of high school Jamiel Shaw II. He was allegedly gunned down by a reputed gang member who was in the country illegally. Pedro Espinoza, who awaits trial on a murder charge, had been released from Los Angeles County Jail the day before the killing.

      LAPD officials and others in law enforcement have strongly opposed the change. They argue that Special Order 40 works and is crucial in encouraging illegal immigrants to cooperate with police. Some civil rights groups also oppose changes to Special Order 40.
      -- Shelby Grad

      UPDATE: Walter Moore, the author of Jamiel's Law, said Friday morning that activists had collected about 68,000 of the 74,000-plus signatures they needed. He says it will be difficult to get all those that are needed. But the Shaw family says they now have close to 70,000 and expect to get a flood of petitions turned in today that will put them over the top. The city clerk then must verify the signatures to make sure they are from registered voters in the city. And that will take at least a few days.
      --Phil Willon
      Photo: Shaw family

      Text of "Jamiel's Law"

      This is a proposed ordinance to
      deny "sanctuary city" protection to illegal aliens in gangs in the city of Los Angeles.

      Whereas, the city of Los Angeles is now a "sanctuary city" for illegal aliens due to city policies that prohibit and inhibit the Los Angeles Police Department from investigating violations of federal immigration law (e.g., LAPD Manual Vol. 1, § 390 and Vol. 4, §§ 264.50, 647.35);

      Whereas, the city of Los Angeles is unsafe for law-abiding citizens, legal aliens and illegal aliens due to the prevalence of gangs that routinely commit crimes including but not limited to murder, extortion, robbery, rape, theft, drug-trafficking, and vandalism;

      Whereas, many, if not most, of the members of the gangs in Los Angeles are illegal aliens; and

      Whereas, there is no legitimate public policy reason for the city to extend "sanctuary city" protection to illegal aliens in the gangs that are ravaging our city;

      Now therefore,

      The people of the city of Los Angeles

      Do ordain adoption of an ordinance as follows:

      Section 1. Jamiel's Law. This short title of this ordinance shall be "Jamiel's Law," in honor of Jamiel Andre Shaw, II, a young man who had an exceptionally promising future until he was murdered in Los Angeles in 2008.

      Section 2. No Sanctuary For Gang Members. The policy of this City from this point forward is, and shall be, to deny any "sanctuary city" protection to illegal aliens in gangs. Neither the Mayor, the Chief of the Police nor any other City employee shall prohibit or inhibit Los Angeles Police Department officers from lawfully investigating possible violations of federal immigration laws by gang members.

      Section 3. Mandate To Investigate, Arrest And Assist. The Mayor and the Chief of Police shall immediately develop and implement a plan for the Los Angeles Police Department, in cooperation with Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the United States Attorney, to identify, arrest, deport and/or prosecute and imprison gang members who are in the country illegally, without waiting to catch them committing murders or other crimes before enforcing the immigration laws against them.

      Section 4. Reporting Requirement. The Mayor shall provide the City Council and the public with quarterly written reports describing in reasonable detail the City's efforts to implement Jamiel's Law. The reports will include, at a minimum, the number of persons arrested by the Los Angeles Police Department for violating federal immigration laws, and the number of those persons who are gang members.

      Section 5. Definitions. For purposes of this ordinance, the terms "gang" and "criminal street gang" shall include any group that fits either or both of the following definitions: a) the definition of "criminal street gang" set forth in the California Street Terrorism Enforcement and Prevention Act, i.e., California Penal Code §§ 182.20-186.33; and b) the definition of "gang" set forth in the L.A.P.D. Manual, Volume 4, § 269.10. The term "gang member" shall have the same meaning as in the L.A.P.D. Manual, Volume 4, § 269.10, namely, "A juvenile or adult who has been positively identified and documented as a gang member under the California Department of Justice's (DOJ) approved criteria."

      Section 6. Severability. If any part or provision of this ordinance, or the application thereof to any person or circumstance, is held invalid, the remainder of the ordinance, including the application of that part or provision to other persons or circumstances, shall not be affected thereby and shall continue in full force and effect. To this end, the provisions of this ordinance are severable.

      TrackBack URL for this entry:
      http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/816965/36649998

      Listed below are links to weblogs that reference *Update: Petition on LAPD illegal-immigrant policy may be falling short
      :

      Comments
      Too bad - we need this law !

      Posted by: Ross | December 05, 2008 at 11:24 AM

      The point is moot; this measure will be unconstitutional and do little more than stoke antipathy on both sides of the immigration debate. It's a disgusting invasion of privacy, and as much as I think laws hamper law enforcement officials from doing their jobs, I also believe that this law in particular serves little positive and considerable negative purpose

      Posted by: Juan Gabriel | December 05, 2008 at 11:33 AM

      A 1979 law? Has nothing changed since then?

      Posted by: juanpabla | December 05, 2008 at 11:42 AM

      I agree strongly with this!

      Posted by:
      Ann Scibelli | December 05, 2008 at 11:54 AM

      I wish I'd known about this petition. I would gladly have signed it and I would have made sure my friends and family signed it too.
      The latinos have out-worn their welcome in the US. They have abused our hospitality and it is time for them to leave. There is no rationale for preventing police officers from inquiring about a person's immigration status: especially when that person is unable to speak English.

      Posted by:
      James Sullivan | December 05, 2008 at 12:00 PM

      Not only should the citizens of Los Angeles support this effort we should demand that the 14th amendment to the US constitution be fully enforced;
      Children born in the US to illegal immigrants arew NOT citizens.
      Deport all illegals of whatever race.

      Posted by: Jack Johnson | December 05, 2008 at 12:18 PM

      Why am I not surprised by the comments of Juan Gabriel: Does one really think anyone of hispanic origins would ever support a law deporting illegal immigrants. Most of the hispanics in Los Angeles are themselves illegal.

      Posted by:
      Jack Johnson | December 05, 2008 at 12:21 PM

      Not only should illegal immigrants be deported
      so should the children born to illegals who are not covered under the 14th amendment to the US Constitution. Let's have the matter heard before the Supreme Court.

      Posted by: Jack Johnson | December 05, 2008 at 12:27 PM

      Latinos have worn out our welcome? Uh, oh I better gather my things and go back to...oh wait, I'm from here. Mr. Sullivan you may want to qualify latinos with the word illegal or some other description because many of the latinos you refer to have families that have been in this state and country far longer than yours.

      Posted by: James Flores | December 05, 2008 at 12:31 PM

      It's unfortunate about what happened to Jamiel but Jaun is correct the law will be held unconstitutional because it is very poorly drafted, too broad, and doesn't get to the heart of the matter.

      Posted by: James Flores | December 05, 2008 at 12:38 PM

      The LAT has repeatedly run editorials and stories regarding the passage of Prop 8 and the legal "struggle" of the people against it. With such an important cause trying to make it to the ballot, I am curious as to why the LAT waited until the deadline to run a story on it falling short. I will now look for another source for my news and discontinue my use of this site. Why? Because it is clear to me that the LAT stands for an "anything goes" society. Let all the illegals in and stay, no matter the cost to American citizens.

      Posted by: Paul | December 05, 2008 at 12:38 PM

      I Am Personaly A Latino And You Guys Are Right in some ways. I Am Not a Gang banger But the fact that you Say We Need To Leave is Stupid if Anyone Has To leave Its Everybody Except Latinos and Native Americans. Why? Because This was Our Home land Your lil Prude Families Came here. You guys Killed Inocent people I Didnt Choose to Be Born here But Now. Every Younger Generation is the Future . Think About It La Mayor is Latino, Governator. Not Even American , Future pres is Black. Trip Out. To Bad For you.

      Posted by: Ray lopez | December 05, 2008 at 12:41 PM

      "Migrant Policy" what the hell is wrong with the LA Times? This policy was meant to arrest illegal gang bangers not "migrants" I can't believe the bias of this nasty rag

      Posted by:
      Sandy Gorman | December 05, 2008 at 12:44 PM

      Juan Gabriel are you an illegal alien gang banger?

      Posted by:
      Lidia | December 05, 2008 at 12:45 PM

      The point is moot; this measure will be unconstitutional and do little more than stoke antipathy on both sides of the immigration debate. It's a disgusting invasion of privacy, and as much as I think laws hamper law enforcement officials from doing their jobs, I also believe that this law in particular serves little positive and considerable negative purpose
      Posted by: Juan Gabriel | December 05, 2008 at 11:33 AM
      I suppose you're one of those gang-loving, illegal alien activists like Enrique Morones and Nativo Lopez who strongly oppose ANY modifications to SP40. And I'm pretty sure you're gonna vote for that illegal alien-loving mayor Tony Villar for another term as mayor.

      Posted by: Ray | December 05, 2008 at 12:46 PM

      Jack Johnson, I like your music, but you're an idiot!

      Posted by: James Flores | December 05, 2008 at 12:48 PM