USN: Boise Navy Week Press Release 7.21.10
Lt. Meg Ferguson
Navy Office of Community Outreach
(610) 761-8046, meg.ferguson@...
PERMISSION TO COME ASHORE?
Navy Week Brings Fleet, Fun to Boise
Sailors come to town August 20-29 to host a week of public events, including Navy Special Warfare Fitness Challenges, and share the Navy story with the community
Boise, ID July 21 On Friday, August 20, the United Sates Navy comes home to Boise to kick off Navy Week, a local celebration of the Sailors who serve our country and the communities that support them. Through a series of events ranging from Navy Leap Frog parachute jumping demonstrations to Navy Band concerts and meet and greet events with local Sailors, the U.S. Navy will come together with members of the greater Boise community to honor the history of the Navy and cultivate new connections between the city and the worlds greatest maritime fighting force.
The celebration, which runs from Friday, August 20 to Sunday, August 29 in conjunction with the Western Idaho Fair, will include four Navy Special Warfare Fitness Challenges, open to men and women ages 16 and up with teams comprised of six competitors. The competitions one for men and one co-ed challenge will consist of pull-ups, sit-ups, rope climb, squats and burpees, and will take place on August 23 and 24 for 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. and August 26 and 27 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. at the Navy SEAL Motivator display at the fair. The team with the highest total score wins box seats for concerts at the fair. Space is still available and team registrations are needed by August 20. Contact Scott Dawson at (503) 250-1875 for more information. The competition is free and teams registering before August 15 will receive free fair admission for team members. Individuals can also take the SEAL Challenge any time during the week.
Boise Navy Week is one of 19 such weeks scheduled to take place in cities across the country this year. Each Navy Week is designed to give Americans a better understanding of the Navy, the Sailors who serve in it and the important work they do here at home and around the world. These special weeks also provide an opportunity for Sailors to travel to local communities often their hometowns and thank the very people who support them at sea.
Rear Admiral Asbjornsen, Special Assistant for Integrated Undersea Warfare, Naval Mine and Anti-Submarine Warfare Command, will join Sailors from the USS Boise to commemorate the occasion and participate in events throughout Navy Week.
Boise Navy Week will include a number of free, family friendly events that are open to the public. Highlights from the week include:
· Boise Mayoral Proclamation at City Hall to officially kick off Navy Week
· Navy Diver demonstrations
· Leap Frogs jump parachute demonstrations
· Navy Band Passages concerts
· SEAL Motivator Challenges, Idaho State Fair
· Habitat for Humanity building project with the Sailors
· United Way Flapjack Feed Fundraiser
· Caps for Kids at St Lukes Childrens Hospital
· Navy Day at Warhawk Museum with Navy Planes, Navy Suburban
· Navy Culinary Specialist demonstration at the Boise Co-Op
· Sea Cadets Fun Run
· Education demonstrations with the Girl Scouts of Silver Sage, Boy Scouts of America - Ore-Ida Council, and the Boys and Girls Club
· Civic events with the Kiwanis Club of Capital City, Downtown Rotary, Metro Chamber of Commerce, and the Society of Women Engineers Boise State University Chapter
For queries and interview requests, please contact Lt. Meg Ferguson at (610) 761-8046 or meg.ferguson@.... To register a team for the Warfare Challenge, please contact Scott Dawson at (503) 250-1875. For additional information on the weeks activities, please visit www.navyweek.org/boise2010. For high resolution photos from past Navy Week celebrations, visit www.flickr.com/photos/navyweek/sets/.