Idaho Fallen Soldiers Memorial Dedicated September 11, 2010

  • Phelps Hobart
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2010

      New fallen soldier memorial opens on 9/11

      http://www.idahoreporter.com/2010/new-fallen-soldier-memorial-opens-on-911/

      Photos

      A crowd of veterans and citizens gathered for the unveiling of the Idaho Fallen Soldier Memorial on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks.  The new memorial for soldiers who have died since the attack currently has 51 names engraved on two pillars.

      “This memorial will ensure that the heroes of Idaho are always remembered for their sacrifice for our freedoms, and that future generations will be reminded to never forget those who ensured the continuation of our great nation,” said Brig. Gen. Alan Gayhart, who led the unveiling ceremony.  “We will never forget and will always remember those that sacrificed so much so that we can continue to live in the greatest nation on earth.”

      The memorial is located in front of the Old Ada County Courthouse, which is next to the Idaho State Capitol.  Private donations, not taxpayer dollars, paid for the memorial.

      Gov. Butch Otter and First Lady Lori Otter read the names of all 51 fallen soldiers as members of an honor guard pointed out their names on the memorial.  The governor also quoted Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine in his brief remarks before the honor guard unveiled the memorial.

      After the short ceremony, visitors were invited to take tracing paper and crayons to make rubbings of the fallen soldiers’ names.  A walkway to the memorial was lined with American flags, with pictures of all the deceased Idahoans attached to the flagpoles.

      Hundreds gather for unveiling of Idaho Fallen Soldier Memorial
      http://www.ktvb.com/news/Hundreds-gather-for-unveiling-of-Idaho-Fallen-Soldier-Memorial-102698814.html
      by KTVB
      KTVB.COM
      Posted on September 11, 2010 at 3:01 PM
      Updated Sunday, Sep 12 at 11:14 AM
      BOISE -- Hundreds of people showed up Saturday afternoon to the unveiling of the Idaho Fallen Soldier Memorial at the old Ada County Courthouse. The event started off with patriotic music and remarks from military leaders. Governor Otter spoke of the ultimate sacrifice 51 Idahoans have made defending our country since the terrorist attacks nine years ago. "These patriots, that we celebrate today, and their families, have indeed given that effort on behalf of liberty, on behalf of freedom," Otter said. Some 200 to 300 family members of fallen soldiers were on hand for the unveiling of the memorial that lists service members from all branches of the military. The Idaho Global War on Terrorism Association organized the ceremony as well as the fundraising efforts.

      IDAHO FALLEN SOLDIERS MEMORIAL
      NEW MEMORIAL WILL HONOR IDAHO SERVICE MEMBERS KILLED IN ACTION

                 (Boise) – Idaho First Lady Lori Otter joined organizers today in accepting a $10,000 contribution from the TriWest Healthcare Alliance for construction of the Idaho Fallen Soldiers Memorial in Boise.

                 The memorial will honor Idaho service members who made the ultimate sacrifice while defending our freedom since September 11, 2001. Private donations are paying for the memorial’s design and construction in front of the former Ada County Courthouse – now owned by the State of Idaho – in downtown Boise. A dedication ceremony is scheduled for September 11, 2010.

                 “TriWest has long been one of the biggest advocates for members of our military and their families. The company operates with an underlying philosophy to serve those who defend our country,” First Lady Lori Otter said.  “TriWest’s generous donation today to the Idaho Fallen Soldiers Memorial is evidence of its commitment to our military families and to all those who go into harm’s way.  Along with Governor Otter, I am extremely grateful to TriWest for this contribution.”

                 TriWest Healthcare Alliance is a U.S. Department of Defense contractor that provides access to health care for military members in the 21-state TRICARE West Region.

                 “It is so very important to honor the memory of those who gave their lives in defense of our nation, which is why TriWest is honored to contribute to the Idaho Fallen Soldiers Memorial,” said Scott Celley, TriWest vice president of External Affairs, who presented the contribution. “We have the privilege of caring for Idaho service members and their families every day, and we appreciate the partnership with Idaho leaders to ensure military families have access to the benefits and resources they need.”

                 Joining Idaho’s First Lady and off-duty military leaders at today’s check presentation were Scott Kreiling of Regence Blue Shield, who is on the board of directors for TriWest Healthcare; and members of a citizen committee that conducted the fundraising effort, led by Cheryl Miller, executive director of “Ride the Wall” – an organization that helps homeless and at-risk veterans.

                 The public is encouraged to donate to the Idaho Fallen Soldiers Memorial and may contact Cheryl Miller at
      (208) 890-6425 for more information about how to contribute.