Re: [NIgerianWorldForum] But Is Goodluck Jonathan Himself Not Incapacitated ???

  • Olu Ojedokun
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
      Of course personality would be relevant because the constitutional provisions are sparse concerning the position of the Vice President.

      For the avoidance of doubt the relevant provision in 148. states that (1) "The President may, in his discretion, assign to the Vice-President or any Minister of the Government of the Federation responsibility for any business of the Government of the Federation, including the administration of any department of government."

      Beyond the Vice President's only specific role as specified by the constitution is as Chairman of the National Economic Council.

      Therefore my previous submission remains germane:

      It depends on what perspective we look at it from.  Personally drawing from the words John Nance Garner a former US Vice President the office of the vice presidency "is not worth a pitcher of warm piss..."

      The strength and profile of the office is at the whims and caprices of the President.  The essential function of the office is to warm his residence until a vacancy ensues.

      At least the US Vice Presidency presides over the Senate and has a casting vote, the Nigerian counterpart is bereft of any such functions other than assisting the President.  In this i stand to be corrected.

      In the final analysis the President was not out of order to sideline the Vice President, he can in theory chose  anybody he 'trusts' to represent him or his office.

      Olu Ojedokun