Re: [NHPoly] Repealing adultery statute

  • Jeremy J. Olson
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2010
      This bill passed the House of Representatives easily on a voice vote.
      Now, onto the Senate. Twice before attempts to repeal this law have
      passed the House and died in the Senate, so that's where the real push
      is going to have to happen.

      --
      Jeremy J. Olson (research@...)

      Director of Research, New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
      http://www.nhliberty.org/
    • Jeremy J. Olson
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5 2:01 PM
        The Senate killed this bill last week. It came out of committee with a
        5–0 vote and was killed on the Floor via a voice vote (no recorded
        tally).

        The sponsor of the bill tells me it was the typical excuses about how
        repealing this (unenforced) law might interfere with divorce
        proceedings and it "sends the wrong message" about adultery.

        At 2010-01-07T03:51:01-0500, <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

        > There is a bill up this year to repeal New Hampshire's adultery
        > statute:---
        >
        > http://www.nhliberty.org/bills/view/2010/HB1402
        >
        > The current statute, RSA 645:3, says simply "A person is guilty of a
        > class B misdemeanor if, being a married person, he engages in sexual
        > intercourse with another not his spouse or, being unmarried, engages in
        > sexual intercourse with another known by him to be married."
        >
        > As worded, this makes no exception for consent. This law is unenforced
        > nowadays, fortunately, but should still be removed from the books.
        >
        > This bill was submitted by pro-liberty State Rep Carol McGuire
        > (Merrimack 8), former Board member of the New Hampshire Liberty
        > Alliance (www.nhliberty.org). I and a few other NHLA activists had
        > asked her to sponsor this bill.
        >
        > The public hearing for this bill is on 2010-01-12 at 10:00 in the
        > Legislative Office Building (behind the State House), in front of the
        > Criminal Justice Committee.
        >
        > If anyone wishes to come out in support of this bill, contact me.
        > There's also a forum thread here:---
        >
        > http://forum.nhliberty.org/index.php?topic=2725.0

        --
        Jeremy J. Olson (research@...)

        Director of Research, New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
        http://www.nhliberty.org/
      • Tara Shakti-Ma
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7 4:18 PM

          Hi Jeremy.  Thanks for sharing this.  I guess when I move to NH in June I'll be soon breaking the law....oh well.  Ridiculous.  Time to get the government out of our love lives.  Geez.

          © Copyright Tara Shakti-Ma  2010

          Jeremy J. Olson (research@nhliberty. org)