Why West Virginia?

  • Duane Ericson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2009
      Looking over corporate histories of some mining companies down in Sonora, Mexico at the turn of the Century, I keep finding that many of them filed for incorporation in West Virginia, particularly those mining companies that were of a suspicious nature. Has anyone else come accross this or have an idea of why West Virginia would appeal to Corporations?
    • J. B. Layne
      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2009
        West Virginia has always been mine corporation friendly, and most of them were probably started to exploit the mineral wealth of West Virginia, back before it became a people's republic

        Looking over corporate histories of some mining companies down in Sonora, Mexico at the turn of the Century, I keep finding that many of them filed for incorporation in West Virginia, particularly those mining companies that were of a suspicious nature. Has anyone else come accross this or have an idea of why West Virginia would appeal to Corporations?

      • va_musher
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2009
          --- In NGMMG@yahoogroups.com, "Duane Ericson" <duaneericson@...> wrote:

          > Looking over corporate histories of some mining companies down in Sonora, Mexico at the turn of the Century, I keep finding that many of them filed for incorporation in West Virginia, particularly those mining companies that were of a suspicious nature. Has anyone else come accross this or have an idea of why West Virginia would appeal to Corporations?

          What type of mining in Sonora? I would assume hard rock which is in direct contrast to coal mining in WVa. I do not think there is much special about incorporating in WV, as many of the lumber companies operating there did not.

          The easiest state to incorporate is Deleware. Lots of suspicious corporations founded there. It makes it difficult when researching since not all officers, locations, etct. are listed.

          Sorry, not much help but interesting.

          Brian
        • Duane Ericson
          Message 4 of 4 , May 8, 2009
            The mining companies incorporated in West Virginia vary from hard rock copper mining to placer mining, and at least a couple of railroads. Col. Bill Greene incorporated several of his Ponzi schemes in West Virginia. Another interesting link in many of the companies is a lawyer named Walter Logan who appears on dozens of corporate names of ill-fated enterprises, who was also associated with George Treadwell (cousin of the treadwells in AK) on his sundry shady schemes south of the border. Many of the mining scandels seem laughable now as they are so obvious, but we have access to information in retrospect that people in that era did not. After the great mining scandel era from 1900-1907, many of the players in the mining scams continued the same scandels with the oil boom. After the oil boom scandels it was Uranium, then back to oil, then technology stocks, then the savings and loans scandels....