Question on Ore Tram Houses

  • wayneperrier
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27 12:03 AM
      This question has to do with tensioning of the cables. Is it true
      that only the travelling cable has a tensioner while the fixed cable
      is simply pre-tensioned at installation and then fixed? I am building
      a tram house portion for a mill and am working through the interior
      details.

      I have read the Buffalo Boy Tram articles in the Gazette where the
      author describes the configuration above but am wondering if this is
      typical. Also wondering, as the buckets come into the tram house, how
      the workers "disconnect" them from the travelling cable. Is it all a
      matter of timing to release a lever?

      thanks in advance.
    • plberes
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27 10:41 AM
        Check it out in Peeles' Mine Engineers Handbook?

        P.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 27 10:12 PM
          I don't have that publication and don't know where to get it. If you
          have it can you provide the relevant information? Thanks.

          Wayne

          --- In NGMMG@yahoogroups.com, plberes <plberes@...> wrote:

          > Check it out in Peeles' Mine Engineers Handbook?
          >
          > P.

        • Joseph A. ODonnell
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 27 10:29 PM
            Peeles' Mine Engineers Handbook ia available on Google at:

            http://books.google.com/books?
            hl=en&id=Nsht1JYAFK4C&dq=Peeles'+Mine+Engineers+Handbook&printsec=frontc
            over&source=web&ots=_gQSpt3hFY&sig=xKjifub8j3IOE28sTtQMuRloAn0&sa=X&oi=b
            ook_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPA1563,M1

            You'll probably have to copy the address in several tries or simply do
            a Google search for "Peeles' Mine Engineers Handbook" and then look
            down the page of results.

            You can view it in Adobe or download a copy.

            Enjoy

            Joseph
          • wayneperrier
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 27 10:59 PM
              Joseph: Thank you . downloading it now.

              Wayne

              --- In NGMMG@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph A. ODonnell" <JAODonnellPE@...>
              wrote:

              > Peeles' Mine Engineers Handbook ia available on Google at:
              >
              > http://books.google.com/books?
              > hl=en&id=Nsht1JYAFK4C&dq=Peeles'+Mine+Engineers+Handbook&printsec=frontc
              > over&source=web&ots=_gQSpt3hFY&sig=xKjifub8j3IOE28sTtQMuRloAn0&sa=X&oi=b
              > ook_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPA1563,M1
              >
              > You'll probably have to copy the address in several tries or simply do
              > a Google search for "Peeles' Mine Engineers Handbook" and then look
              > down the page of results.
              >
              > You can view it in Adobe or download a copy.
              >
              > Enjoy
              >
              > Joseph

            • Sam Bass
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 31 11:19 AM
                Wayne,

                The track cables on an aerial tram were usually anchored at the upper
                terminal and had a large tension weight at the lower terminal. This
                was usually a large wooden box filled with rock or scrap metal. Good
                elevations of the upper and lower terminals of a typical tram can be
                found in Riding the High Wire by Robert Trennert.

                Sam Bass
              • plberes
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
                  --- In NGMMG@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph A. ODonnell" <JAODonnellPE@...>
                  wrote: Peeles' Mine Engineers Handbook ia available on Google......

                  HOWEVER Patrick writes: IF YOU GO TO ABE BOOKS YOU WILL FIND BETTER
                  PRICES AND MORE VARIETY. HERE IS WHAT IS AVAILABLE TODAY:
                  1. Mining Engineers' Handbook (Vol 2) Third Edition
                  Peele, Robert (Editor)
                  Bookseller: Archway Bookshop
                  (Falmouth, COR, United Kingdom)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 15.31
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within United Kingdom:
                  US$ 4.98
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1948. Full-Leather.
                  Book Condition: Good/Fair. No Jacket. Bookseller Inventory # 900510

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  2. Mining engineers' Handbook Volume II: Third Edition
                  Peele, Robert; Church, John A.
                  Bookseller: Emily's Books
                  (Brainerd, MN, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 24.50
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 3.00
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: New York John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1952., 1952. Soft
                  Cover. Book Condition: Good. 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall This is Volume
                  II only. The former owner stamped his information on the bottom page
                  edges and on the front paste down and FFE. This is the college
                  edition. Bookseller Inventory # 013079

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  3. mining engineers handbook vol 2
                  Robert Peele
                  Bookseller: Goodwill Alberta
                  (Edmonton, AB, Canada)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 25.42
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within Canada:
                  US$ 4.50
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: Wiley. Book Condition: Used - Good. Used - Good.
                  Bookseller Inventory # 2-E-7-0077

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  4. Mining Engineers' Handbook Vol. I
                  Peele, Robert; Church, John A
                  Bookseller: Outside of a Dog, Books . . .
                  (Santa Fe, NM, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 28.00
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 3.99
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1941. Hardcover.
                  Book Condition: Very Good -. Third edition. Completely intact, covers
                  (particularly spine) have some worn areas, previous owners' names
                  inside front cover. Rounded slightly flexible red cloth covers. This
                  book was designed for use as a constant reference source by mining
                  engineers of the period, and is replete with practical information
                  gathered together in one place about mining, prospecting, mineralogy
                  and more. Size: 5.5" x 8.5. Bookseller Inventory # 003614

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  5. Mining Engineers' Handbook (Vols 1 & 2)
                  Peele, Robert
                  Bookseller: Chapter 1
                  (Johannesburg, Gau, South Africa)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 30.00
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within South Africa:
                  US$ 5.06
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons, 1944. Hardcover. Book Condition:
                  Fine. Dust Jacket Condition: Very Good. 3rd Edition. the jacket is
                  shelf rubbed and worn.a few closed tears not much paper loss
                  (the ''jackets'' are plain brown wrappers which may or may not be
                  original.no inscriptions.the binding is excellent.two volume set.
                  (PK). Bookseller Inventory # 828d

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  6. Mining Engineers' Handbook (vol II)
                  Peele, Robert
                  Bookseller: That's A Wrap!
                  (Port Angeles, WA, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 30.00
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 3.50
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: Wiley, 1961. Hard Cover. Book Condition: Very Good.
                  No Jacket. Drawings (illustrator). Third. This is volume 2, third
                  edition, ninth print. Has had a plastic cover on it for many years,
                  so book is very clean and attractive. Prev owner's name and add
                  inside front fep. Nice clean, unmarked interior otherwise. Bookseller
                  Inventory # 021662

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  7. Mining Engineers' Handbook in Two Volumes, Volume II
                  Peele, Robert
                  Bookseller: Don Hunt
                  (Chevy Chase, MD, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 30.00
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 4.00
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons, 1947. Hardcover. Book Condition:
                  Very Good. No Jacket. 3rd Edition. Bookseller Inventory # 4427

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  8. Mining Engineers' Handbook in Two Volumes, Volume I
                  Peele, Robert
                  Bookseller: Don Hunt
                  (Chevy Chase, MD, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 30.00
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 4.00
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons, 1947. Hardcover. Book Condition:
                  Very Good. No Jacket. 3rd Edition. Bookseller Inventory # 4426

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  9. MINING ENGINEERS HANDBOOK (2 Volumes)
                  Peele Robert
                  Bookseller: Polsue Books
                  (Cornwall, TR, United Kingdom)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 30.61
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within United Kingdom:
                  US$ 4.98
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley, London, 1950. Fifth Edition 1950.
                  Hardback cloth covers with gilt lettering. Two thickish volumes lots
                  of line drawn illustrations. Price quoted is for the full set of two
                  volumes , weight 1.5k each so will be an increase on standard postage
                  rate but this will be kept to a minimum. Condition nam4e previous
                  owner inside and stamp CONCENTRATOR under title , Well bound and
                  firm, slightbump/rub corners and slight small rub edge otherwise very
                  good.-----------All books packaged with care and sent off the same
                  day where possible. Bookseller Inventory # 6609

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  10. Mining Engineerings' Handbook
                  Peele, Robert
                  Bookseller: King's Books
                  (Tacoma, WA, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 31.60
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 4.00
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: Wiley, 1941. flex Cover. Book Condition: Very Good.
                  hardcover--flex cover; very good; engineering. Bookseller Inventory #
                  131787

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  11. Mining Engineers' Handbook (2 Volume set)
                  Peele, Robert & Church, John A.
                  Bookseller: Keith Smith Books
                  (Herefordshire, ., United Kingdom)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 33.67
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within United Kingdom:
                  US$ 4.58
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1961. 9th. printing of
                  3rd. edition. Nearly 2500 pages. Each volume 145mm x 217mm.
                  Extremities slightly bumped, boards dusty, browning endpapers/page
                  edges, otherwise a very good set. Heavy set. No extra postage in UK.
                  Bookseller Inventory # 009845

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  12. Mining Engineers Handbook
                  Peele Robert
                  Bookseller: Jerry Thompson Bookseller
                  (Chesterville, ON, Canada)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 38.59
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within Canada:
                  US$ 6.00
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: Wiley, 1966. Hardcover. Book Condition: Very Good
                  Light Edge Wear. Third Edition. 16mo - over 5¾" - 6¾" tall. chapter
                  paginated, illustrated,, volume 2. Bookseller Inventory # 13443

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  13. Mining Engineers' Handbook, Volume I, College Edition
                  Robert Peele
                  Bookseller: The Yard Sale
                  (Laurium, MI, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 39.99
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 3.00
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons, 1950. Hardcover. Book Condition:
                  Good. Fifth Printing. One page torn. Bookseller Inventory # 6622

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  14. Mining Engineers' Handbook, Volume II, College Edition
                  Robert Peele
                  Bookseller: The Yard Sale
                  (Laurium, MI, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 39.99
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 3.00
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons Inc, 1950. Hardcover. Book
                  Condition: Good. Fifth Printing. Crease on back cover. Writing inside
                  front cover. Bookseller Inventory # 6621

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  15. Mining Engineers' Handbook
                  Peele, Robert, Editor
                  Bookseller: The Curiosity Book Shop
                  (Hubbardston, MA, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 40.00
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:

                  FREE
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1927. Hard
                  Cover. Good/No Jacket. Stiff red vinyl-type covers with non-flexible
                  endpapers; gilt title and spine lettering; all edges gilt; 2,523
                  pages. Second edition; originally published in 1918. Written by a
                  staff of specialists under editorship of Peele. Many technical charts
                  and diagrams. Text block about 3 1/2" deep has stressed the exterior
                  binding, and front hinge paper is cracked; text block, binding, and
                  rear hinge paper intact. Spine strip becoming detached and carefully
                  glue-repaired; cover extremities heavily rubbed and frayed; several
                  moderate vertical creases to rear cover. Prior owner name and date
                  half-title page; otherwise clean. Bookseller Inventory # 10856

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  16. mining engineers' handbook,volume 1
                  peele,robert and john church
                  Bookseller: bingobooks2
                  (Northridge, CA, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 45.00
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 3.99
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: wiley, 1941. Hardcover. Book Condition: Very Good.
                  3rd Edition. third edition hardback book in very good to near fine
                  condition,name in small letters on first blank page. Bookseller
                  Inventory # 15343

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  17. Mining Engineers? Handbook. 2 Volumes.
                  Peele, Robert, editor.
                  Bookseller: Zephyr Books Inc
                  (Reno,, NV, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 55.00
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 3.00
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley. 1941., New York., 1941. Maroon cloth.
                  3rd Edition. 8vo. Ex-library with the normal markings, otherwise a
                  good copy with moderate shelfwear. Bookseller Inventory # 243639

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  18. Mining Engineers' Handbook
                  Robert Peele
                  Bookseller: The Yard Sale
                  (Laurium, MI, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 55.00
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 3.00
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons, 1941. Hard Cover. Book
                  Condition: Very Good. Bookseller Inventory # 10141

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  19. Mining Engineers' Handbook -Volume I
                  Peele, Robert and John A. Church
                  Bookseller: BOOK QUEST
                  (Centralia, WA, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 55.00
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 4.50
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons, NY, 1941. Hardcover. Book
                  Condition: G+. Dust Jacket Condition: NONE. Third Edition; First
                  Printing. ; Illustrated; 4to 11" - 13" tall; 2500+ pages. Bookseller
                  Inventory # 24044

                  [Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask
                  Bookseller a Question]

                  20.
                  Bookseller Photo Mining Engineers' Handbook. Volume II
                  Peele, Robert
                  Bookseller: De Re Metallica Book Company LLC
                  (Central City, CO, U.S.A.)
                  Bookseller Rating:
                  Price: US$ 57.00
                  [Convert Currency]
                  Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
                  US$ 4.50
                  [Rates & Speeds]

                  Book Description: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1927. Full-
                  Leather. Book Condition: Very Good. No Jacket. 2nd Edition. 8vo -
                  over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. Volume II only Sec 15 to 44, figures, formulas,
                  tables Exterior with a few small chips out of the leather at the
                  spine end. Interior very clean previous owners stamp on blank free
                  end paper. Very small (1/4" by 1 inch) dampstain to upper margin.
                  Bookseller Inventory # v00041
                • maver6314
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 22, 2009
                    Some trams Specifically the Molly Murphy in Chalk Creek Canyon had
                    only cable with ore bucket attached to it. It worked a gravity
                    system. I photographed the lower tram house. The Buffalo may have
                    been different.

                    Marne

                  • davidry@osorail.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 23, 2009
                      There are lots of different configurations but I can offer up a couple
                      of things based on drawings I've seen and remains that I've visited. The
                      fixed line is tensioned. Also, cable stretches over time, so there has
                      to be a mechanism to tighten it. One interesting one was at Monte
                      Cristo, WA, where they dug a pit at the top, built basically a large
                      wooden box, suspended it in the pit, secured it to the center of the
                      device holding the fixed line via cable and a pulley, and then filled
                      the wooden box with rocks. The weight of the box put constant pressure
                      on the fixed line.

                      Ore buckets vary too. The kind used at Mackay, Idaho (they have one on
                      display there) has a release-type gripper on the frame that suspends the
                      bucket from the wheels on top. The travelling cable passed through that
                      release, so when the bucket arrived at one of the houses it could be
                      disconnected from the travelling cable by flipping a handle, then rolled
                      onto a "side track" made of strap iron to be loaded or unloaded. Then,
                      to get it going again, the operator rolled it off the other end of the
                      "side track" onto the fixed line again, let the travelling cable enter
                      the grip mechanism area, then flip the handle to get the bucket back in
                      the parade. They used this system on top to load the buckets and the
                      same system on the bottom to unload the buckets.

                      Dave Rygmyr
                      NorthWest Short Line (www.nwsl.com)
                      Oso Publishing & Evergreen Hill Designs (www.osorail.com)
                    • Sam Bass
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 8, 2009
                        I've posted three photos to the Empire Copper album of the tram bucket at Mackay, Idaho that Dave described in a previous post. The grip is the square assembly below the bucket's truck.

                        You can see the lever that was used to attach/detach the grip from the traveling (traction) cable. The rear view of the grip shows the jaws that gripped the cable.

                        Thanks for the good description of the operation of the grip, Dave.

                        Sam Bass