Crow Creek Mine buildings, preserved in Alaska

  • Darryl Huffman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2007
      Friends,

      It was a gorgeous day today so I packed up the wife and my grandson and headed out for a day of gold panning and touristing in Alaska.

      I just uploaded the photos I took today at Crow Creek Mine which is a preserved mining camp about 30 miles outside of Anchorage.

      Here is a link to the photos which are best viewed by clicking on the slideshow option:

      http://oldbuildings.photosite.com/CrowCreekMine/

      Darryl Huffman
      12020 Old Seward Highway
      Anchorage, Alaska 99515

      Like to try scratchbuilding but don't know where to start? Check out my DVD at:

      http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/contact.html

    • Randy Rouse
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2007
        Darryl,
        Thanks for posting those pictures of Crow Creek. Are those building
        part of an actual mine site or are they part of a small settlement?
        Talk about detailing ideas!!!
        Randy Rouse
        Redding, CA.
      • Darryl Huffman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2007
          Randy,

          There are about 6 or 7 buildings in all.

          The buildings are a blacksmith shop, a livery stable, a commissary, the mine owner's home, the superintendent's cabin, and similar structures so these are all part of the original mining camp. I'm sure there were also little cabins for the workers but those are not there now--or if they are they are off the mine property itself.

          This was a hydraulic mining and sluicing operation rather than a hard rock mine.

          It is in one of the most beautiful spots in Alaska. Neat little area.

          Darryl Huffman
          12020 Old Seward Highway
          Anchorage, Alaska 99515

        • Doug Auburg
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2007
            I'm a bit confused about where to see these pictures. I looked on the Yahoo
            site and found lots of picture folders on our group's site but I didn't see
            anything labeled "Cow Creek". Can one of you who is more experienced with
            negotiating Yahoo advise me on where to go to see these pictures?

            Thanks.

            Doug A
            Vancouver WA

          • Darryl Huffman
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 17, 2007
              Doug,

              The photos are not in the group's website but on one of my websites. Just clink on this link and it will appear:

              http://oldbuildings.photosite.com/CrowCreekMine/

              If it doesn't, ask me again and I will try something else.

              Darryl Huffman
              12020 Old Seward Highway
              Anchorage, Alaska 99515

              Like to try scratchbuilding but don't know where to start? Check out my DVD at:

              http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/contact.html

              I'm a bit confused about where to see these pictures. I looked on the Yahoo
              site and found lots of picture folders on our group's site but I didn't see
              anything labeled "Cow Creek". Can one of you who is more experienced with
              negotiating Yahoo advise me on where to go to see these pictures?

              Thanks.

              Doug A
              Vancouver WA
              Recent Activity