Newbie

  • Dave Allen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2006
      Howdy!

      I'm at the tail end of selling off my HO and have purchased some O
      and On30 items. I intend to build a layout, but thought I would join
      some groups to see and hear from the "experts". It seems to me that
      On30 is for either those who like everything teeny tiny, even though
      the O part is a larger scale, or, those who like the basement sized
      Colorado Rocky Mountain "high"!

      I grew up in Cincinnati, OH, and discovered a narrow gauge line which
      had no gold mining, no logging, no coal mining, and no construction
      site. The CL&N ran 35+ miles primarily as a commuter line connecting
      the farming community of Lebanon, Ohio to the industrial and
      commercial centers of Norwood and Cincinnati. They also hauled
      freight but, for most of their history, made more money off leased
      haulage rights to a standard gauge line than they did on freight
      moving on their own line. I have the primary books on the subject and
      have researched the history further on line.

      What I need help with is conceptualizing how an O sized layout,
      versus my former HO, will appear. Guess I have to just jump right in.
      I have an L-shaped 3/4 of a basement about 20 x 40. But, for 23
      years, I have been going to a friend's house every Friday to operate
      on his HO layout, and have built only 1 layout at my own home. Time
      to change that.

      Will take any suggestions and references.

      Thanks,
      Dave in Buffalo, NY, USA
      aka NickPlate

      Sales, Marketing, Public Relations, Advertising, Web sites, eBay

      Director of Internet Services
      http://www.trainresource.com/Home.html
    • J. B. Layne
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2006
        Sticking to Ohio, the Cincinnati and Eastern ran from
        Queensgate to Portsmouth, serving the coal and iron
        mines in Adams and Scioto Counties. The Virginia Tech
        site
        HTTP://image-base.lib.vt.edu/browse.php has a large
        number of photographs in the Norfolk and Western
        Collection. This is the Norfolk and Western line. The
        Springfield, Jackson and Pomeroy served the iron and
        coal mines in Jackson County,OH. Check DT&I sites for
        information. The Dayton and Eastern, aka the Dayton
        and Southeastern or the Toledo, Cincinnati and St.
        Louis, ran from Dayton to Chillicothe OH, then into
        Jackson and Wellston, and then by a rather circuitous
        routes to a little town called Centre Station in
        Lawrence County. Also served iron and coal mines.

        The coal is cannel coal, which doesn't make coke, so,
        to be accurate, coke ovens aren't appropriate

        Other mining activity in the Ohio Valley area east of
        Cincinnati consist of an occasional lead/zinc mine,
        salt wells, oil wells, bitumen mines (tar and
        asphalt), flint clay quarries, sand quarries (a high
        grade used in glass-making), limestone quarries, and
        clam dredging--they aren't edible, the shells were
        used to make mother-of-pearl. With the exception of
        the lead mines, lead deposits tending to occur in
        faults in dolomite beds, it is possible to fit all of
        these activities, and the attendant industries, within
        a couple of miles of each other. For example, at one
        location, an iron mine produced iron, limestone and
        coal from the same pit, while a clay quarry was higher
        on the same hill, with charcoal-fired blast furnaces
        and brick kilns down at the bottom. Oil was also
        brought out of the ground in the same general
        vicinity.

        Why bother with Colorado when you can stay close to home?

        http://mail.yahoo.com