RE: [NGMMG] Re: Ore bin gates parts...

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
      If you are using white milled styrene you might try using IPS Weld-III. You
      apply it with a small brush and capillary action does the rest. The nicest
      thing about this stuff is it only leaves the styrene slightly shiny when it
      dries. It does not work as well on the molded stuff as it is softer and
      requires much more care in its application. It also dries in a few seconds.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2006
        Thanks Rick, I'll pick up some of that next time at my local hobby
        shop.

        --- In NGMMG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <rick@...> wrote:

        > If you are using white milled styrene you might try using IPS Weld-
        III. You
        > apply it with a small brush and capillary action does the rest.
        The nicest
        > thing about this stuff is it only leaves the styrene slightly
        shiny when it
        > dries. It does not work as well on the molded stuff as it is
        softer and
        > requires much more care in its application. It also dries in a few
        seconds.

        > Rick

        Behalf Of
        > wayneperrier
        > Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 11:52 PM
        > To: NGMMG@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [NGMMG] Re: Ore bin gates parts...
        >
        > Thanks Jim, that's a good idea to checkout a watch repair place.
        >
        > I fabricated a rack on Friday and posted a picture in the "Wayne
        > Perrier photos" folder. This rack measures 4 feet long in O Scale
        > and a scale 3 inches high by 4 inches wide; the teeth are one inch
        > wide spaced on two inch centers.
        >
        > I need to work on this a little because I'm not an expert at
        > fabricating in styrene; I'm using the plastruct "plastic weld"
        cement
        > and it's tough to work with, even though I'm using a 30 gauge
        syringe
        > to apply the glue.
        >
        > Wayne
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rick
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
          You won't find it at a hobby shop. You will need to find a plastics suppler
          in your area and it costs about $7 a pint.

          RIck

        • Sam
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 18, 2006
            I have been using the Weldon for many years and it has worked on all
            styrene for me, on the molded styrene rough the surface to remove the
            finish. I normally just scrape it lightly with an X-acto. It doesn't
            work on some Plastruct products, if you use Plastruct make sure it is
            the styrene line. Also use it vary sparingly on delicate parts, it
            does weld parts which means it melts the plastic together. A fine
            CAMEL hair brush works best.
            Sam