Re: SILVERSMITH POWER AND LIGHT CORPORATION

  • ferroequinologist1
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6, 2005
      Craig etal

      Made a trip over to Sandon past weekend, measured up Pelton
      and other equipment, waiting for photos to be developed. Will
      redo rough sketchs, and then a set of plans. Also measured Pelton
      wheel used for the old Sandon Light & Power plant, smaller Pelton
      but a different setup as to bearing's and layout.

      Ken Clark
      Calgary Ab
      GWN
    • Ken Clark
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 8, 2005
        Hi Craig

        Made a trip up to the SP&LC plant over the weekend, took measurements on
        the Pelton-Doble turbine & orginal Pelton of the "Sandon Power & Light"
        plant (scrapped in mid 1950s) Photo's being developed. Should be able to
        come up with a reasonable set of plans for both turbines. At least I do not
        need to draw the wheels<G>. The SP&L plant generator was belt driven
        from the Pelton shaft, so you will have a couple of ways to go, it is a
        smaller
        Pelton also, casing is 44" versus 68" for the P-D. Also need to redo 14" dia
        rivited steel pipe plans (orginally from the Ruth-Hope plant) used for
        repairs
        after a wash out in 1973 of the orginal SP&LC woodstave pipe.

        Ken

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 8, 2005
          All

          Added 4 photos to Silversmith Album of the Sandon Light & Power
          Pelton wheel in Sandon BC. The Plant was scrapped in the mid 1950s
          This Pelton is about 2/3rds the size of the Silversmith's
          Pelton-Doble unit. Orginally installed in 1900, used a belted
          drive to the generator, one of two wheels in the plant.

          Ken Clark
        • Craig Elliott
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 9, 2005
            Hi Ken,

            Thanks very much for the Pelton photos and the information.
            I look forward to your dimensioned sketches.

            I found this sketch from an 1889 US Patent for Lester Pelton's water turbine.
            I was wondering if you, or anyone reading, know what size the largest
            of this type of turbine that has been manufactured?

          • Ken Clark
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 9, 2005
              Craig

              To my knowledge the largest diamenter Pelton wheel was a 30ft dia wheel
              used at the "North Star Mine" located at Grass Valley CA. Still in place
              although the compresor has been stripped of rod's etc..Plans for this
              compressor can be found in "Western Scale Model's" book "Modeling the Mining
              Industry" "Compressed Air, It;s Generation and Use in Mining".

              Ken

              > Thanks very much for the Pelton photos and the information.
              > I look forward to your dimensioned sketches.
              >
              > I found this sketch from an 1889 US Patent for Lester Pelton's water
              turbine.
              > I was wondering if you, or anyone reading, know what size the largest
              > of this type of turbine that has been manufactured?
              >
              > Regards,
              > Craig

              > Ken Clark <ferroequinologist1@...> wrote:
              > Hi Craig
              >
              > Made a trip up to the SP&LC plant over the weekend, took measurements
              on
              > the Pelton-Doble turbine & orginal Pelton of the "Sandon Power & Light"
              > plant (scrapped in mid 1950s) Photo's being developed. Should be able to
              > come up with a reasonable set of plans for both turbines. At least I do
              not
              > need to draw the wheels<G>. The SP&L plant generator was belt driven
              > from the Pelton shaft, so you will have a couple of ways to go, it is a
              > smaller
              > Pelton also, casing is 44" versus 68" for the P-D. Also need to redo 14"
              dia
              > rivited steel pipe plans (orginally from the Ruth-Hope plant) used for
              > repairs
              > after a wash out in 1973 of the orginal SP&LC woodstave pipe.
              >
              > Ken

              Service.

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Craig Elliott
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 9, 2005
                Ken,

                Wow, 30 ft diameter! That would take up a lot of layout space in 1/32 scale.
                I will have a look for the book you mentioned. I have been to the Empire Mine in Grass Valley but not the North Star. I have also seen a small Pelton
                Wheel on display in Nevada City without the shroud.

                I am planning to run two turbines in a single house with twin penstocks. One for electricity and the other for compressed air. Based primarily on the room I have available I will probably choose 16 to 20 foot scale wheels. I added the patent diagram to your photos of the wheels at SP&LC.

                Craig

                Ken Clark <ferroequinologist1@...> wrote:
                Craig

                To my knowledge the largest diamenter Pelton wheel was a 30ft dia wheel
                used at the "North Star Mine" located at Grass Valley CA. Still in place
                although the compresor has been stripped of rod's etc..Plans for this
                compressor can be found in "Western Scale Model's" book "Modeling the Mining
                Industry" "Compressed Air, It;s Generation and Use in Mining".

                Ken

                > Thanks very much for the Pelton photos and the information.
                > I look forward to your dimensioned sketches.
                >
                > I found this sketch from an 1889 US Patent for Lester Pelton's water
                turbine.
                > I was wondering if you, or anyone reading, know what size the largest
                > of this type of turbine that has been manufactured?
                >
                > Regards,
                > Craig

                > Ken Clark <ferroequinologist1@...> wrote:
                > Hi Craig
                >
                > Made a trip up to the SP&LC plant over the weekend, took measurements
                on
                > the Pelton-Doble turbine & orginal Pelton of the "Sandon Power & Light"
                > plant (scrapped in mid 1950s) Photo's being developed. Should be able to
                > come up with a reasonable set of plans for both turbines. At least I do
                not
                > need to draw the wheels<G>. The SP&L plant generator was belt driven
                > from the Pelton shaft, so you will have a couple of ways to go, it is a
                > smaller
                > Pelton also, casing is 44" versus 68" for the P-D. Also need to redo 14"
                dia
                > rivited steel pipe plans (orginally from the Ruth-Hope plant) used for
                > repairs
                > after a wash out in 1973 of the orginal SP&LC woodstave pipe.
                >
                > Ken

                Service.