mine interior

  • dkrails@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2012
      Hi,
      I just found this site and want to thank you for having it.
      I would like to model the interior of a working mine in 1/87th with a working headframe similar to the Molly Kathleen in Cripple Creek.
      What is the length of a standard mine timber and how are they shaped to be able to create the sides of the shaft.
      Any comments would be appreciated
      Dave Kohler
    • Darryl Huffman
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2012
        dave,

        Follow this link for lots of information:

        Darryl Huffman
        darrylhuffman@...

        Easy Weathering DVD available:
        http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/custom3.html

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2012
          That is indeed an excellent resource.  If you wished to accurately follow protototypical practice, it would be a foundation to follow.
            From another perspective, since we are modeling in a less than full size scale, if it looks right, it is right.  As to the size of supporting timbers, just consider the human aspect of it.  They must provide the adequate clearance needed for moving about and be stout enough to support whatever it's intended to hold up.
            That is a broad application of Rule #1, "It's my railroad and I do it my way."  Don't mean to be over simplifying the answer to the question, there's many levels of interest that an individual can care to get involved with.  Pick one and go for it.
            Keevan

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27, 2012
            David,

            I was in the Mollie Kathleen two summers ago and one of the most noticeable aspects of the underground workings was that there was very little in the way of timbering. There were a few stulls in the stopes but the rock was mostly self supporting.

            Now, with that being said, I've been in old mines that have used 4X4"s for tunnel supports with 2X6 lagging, and tunnels or drifts with 6X6 timbers
            and 2X10 r 2X12 lagging, and tunnels with 10X12 timbers that were failing due to ground pressure(=scary!)

            So it's really boils down to what looks best to you in your modeling, as the timbering in actual mines was totally based on the type of ground that it was in. I've literally been in stopes that did not have a single board in the them, except to support either mine car tracks or work platforms, that were
            over 200 ft high and 50-100 ft long, as well as areas underground that had more timber than a lumber yard!

            While the Mollie Kathleen is a outstanding underground tour, it's head frame is actually quite small. The Cripple Creek/Victor area has examples of head frames of that are considerably larger and some that are smaller. Again we're back to what looks best for you and your modeling efforts.

            I suggest that you dive into the multitude of historical resources, especially those for the Colorado mining districts, and you'll find something that
            prototypically fits your interests. Bottom line it's still your railroad, or your mine, and you should do what makes you happy!

            Best regards...

            Rick Neet
            Supt.
            Crystal Pass & Pacific RR

            Owner of the Volunteer Mine, Occidental Mine, and the Humphrey's Mine in Sn3

            On Mar 27, 2012, at 2:14 PM, Kjb80401@... wrote:

            That is indeed an excellent resource.  If you wished to accurately follow protototypical practice, it would be a foundation to follow.
              From another perspective, since we are modeling in a less than full size scale, if it looks right, it is right.  As to the size of supporting timbers, just consider the human aspect of it.  They must provide the adequate clearance needed for moving about and be stout enough to support whatever it's intended to hold up.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
              Hello Dave and All,

              I've posted a folder in the Files section titled Mine Timber, with drawings of a typical "Montana" type headframe and typical shaft and drift (tunnel) timbering.

              Sam Bass

              --- In NGMMG@yahoogroups.com, "dkrails@..." <dkrails@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I just found this site and want to thank you for having it.
              > I would like to model the interior of a working mine in 1/87th with a working headframe similar to the Molly Kathleen in Cripple Creek.
              > What is the length of a standard mine timber and how are they shaped to be able to create the sides of the shaft.
              > Any comments would be appreciated
              > Dave Kohler

            • John Dowling
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
                Darryl,

                Thanks for the link. (Sorry you weren't at the Hickory NNGC, by the way.) I was looking for information on cribbing, and if it's in here I can't find it. Is there another source?

                John

              • Kjb80401@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012
                  Thanks Sam.  Those are relative pieces of infomation for building a model mine.  Hope the originator of this thread finds it likewise.
                    Keevan

                  In a message dated 3/28/2012 12:20:21 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, tinticng@... writes:
                  I've posted a folder in the Files section titled Mine Timber, with drawings of a typical "Montana" type headframe and typical shaft and drift (tunnel) timbering.

                  Sam Bass

                  --- In NGMMG@yahoogroups.com, "dkrails@..." <dkrails@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > I just found this site and want to thank you for having it.
                  > I would like to model the interior of a working mine in 1/87th with a working headframe similar to the Molly Kathleen in Cripple Creek.
                  > What is the length of a standard mine timber and how are they shaped to be able to create the sides of the shaft.
                  > Any comments would be appreciated
                  > Dave Kohler
                • Darryl Huffman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 28, 2012