Interesting film from the National Film Preservation Foundation

  • davidry@osorail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
      http://www.filmpreservation.org/dvds-and-books/clips/copper-mines-at-bingham-utah-1912

      Dave Rygmyr
      NorthWest Short Line (www.nwsl.com)
      Oso Publishing & Evergreen Hill Designs (www.osorail.com)
    • John Dowling
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
        David,

        Thank you for this clip. I was just reading about Bingham Canyon in the book "Newport in the Rockies." Author Marshall Sprague relates how the area was considered played out after 1887 by almost everyone except metallurgist Daniel C. Jackling, who claimed he'd developed a mill which could profitably extract the canyon's two percent copper. The only people willing to back him were a small circle of Colorado Springs investors headed by Spencer Penrose, most of them flush with Cripple Creek gold profits. By 1903, Bingham Canyon was the largest steam shovel copper mine in the world, having earned over a billion dollars in profits.

        Penrose plowed much of his share into his Colorado Springs holdings, including The Broadmoor, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and the Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun.

        While we're on the subject, here's a remarkable photo of the operation from 1942:

        http://www.shorpy.com/node/159?size=_original

        John

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
          Holy crap...what a great site!! How often do you see this?

          http://www.shorpy.com/node/7786

          The link you sent actually sent a shiver of motivation down my spine to
          build something like this. I'm not sure, but it looks like the
          electrified trestles actually form a helix of sorts? This absolutely
          made my day!! (OK Dave, calm down, shut up, and get back to NWSL
          stuff...)

        • Kjb80401@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
            I was so taken aback by the original still photo that I couldn't fathom on
            how I could reply to it.

            _http://www.filmpreservation.org/dvds-and-books/clips/copper-mines-at-bingha
            m-uta\
            h-1912_
            (http://www.filmpreservation.org/dvds-and-books/clips/copper-mines-at-bingham-utah-1912)

            I had no clue as to just how complex that area was but if I had been a
            design engineer at the time, I could have retired on the amount of work to be
            done. There's obvious evidence that tunnels had to have existed.

            Keevan

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
              Glad you guys liked it. That's about the most breathtaking mining photo I've ever seen. Shorpy is a killer site. Here's another favorite:

              http://www.shorpy.com/node/7499?size=_original

              John