Re: Bachmann Shay conversion

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
      Sam,

      Nice conversion. Hoping you will post more photo's of your fine work. Maybe even a layout plan?

      Thanks,

      Brian
    • Sam
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
        Thanks for the kind words on my models. The conversion wouldn't have happended if not for Northwest Shortline's kit (for which I'm extremely grateful). About the layout; I started building one based loosely on Boone Morrison's HOn3 layout, but I've found that the mine models I've built won't fit. I now have to re-think the whole design. The problem with mines, even relatively small ones, is the amount of real estate they consume. My layout will be loosely based on the narrow gauge Eureka Hill RR at Silver City, UT. The Eureka Hill (historical) had a 28 ton and three 70 ton Shays.

        Cheers,
        Sam Bass

        --- In NGMMG@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <va_musher@...> wrote:

        > Sam,
        >
        > Nice conversion. Hoping you will post more photo's of your fine work. Maybe even a layout plan?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Brian

      • Sam
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
          Hi all,

          Just thought I'd mention that I narrow gauged another Bachmann 80 ton Shay last week. Discovered that 3 of the 6 bevel gears had split so now I'll have to get the re-gear set from NWSL. Got real stupid the other day and converted an Athern SD-7 to narrow gauge. That makes two of them now. Got my eye on an Athern SW now.

          Cheers,
          Sam