Re: Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette

  • ronaldwolters
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16 5:10 PM
      Sam-
      What did you think of the article? Are these the same pictures you have shown me before? and do you think those Ore cars could be used with 24" gauge wheels under them? They might look great on my railroad.
      call me some time soon to come over and see what I've neen up to.
      Ron
    • Sam
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16 7:14 PM
        Hi Ron,

        I thought the article was a good attempt to give the history of the Empire Copper Co. and its railroad in a very limited space. You can find pretty much the same info if you Google Empire Copper Company and choose the first link. It should take you to the University of Idaho Special Collections site. They have most of the existing records from Empire Copper. I've not visited Moscow yet, but from those that have laid hands on the collection I've heard there is a huge amount of information.

        The photos of the Shays you've seen. I don't think I've shown you the photos of the motors before. The South Custer Historical Society has many photos of the mine and railroad. This has to be the best photographically documented unknown railroad in the country.

        As for the hoppers, I'd imagine you could "narrow gauge" them. I haven't looked at them with that in mind.

        When I get through with the "honey-do list", I'll give you a call.

        Cheers,
        Sam

        --- In NGMMG@yahoogroups.com, "ronaldwolters" <ron.amywolters@...> wrote:

        > Sam-
        > What did you think of the article? Are these the same pictures you have shown me before? and do you think those Ore cars could be used with 24" gauge wheels under them? They might look great on my railroad.
        > call me some time soon to come over and see what I've neen up to.
        > Ron

      • ronaldwolters
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20 7:01 PM
          Sam-
          I wasn't thinking of narrowing them just pushing the wheels in to proper gauge for my railroad. I asume you have been working on drawings of them?
          Ron