anything happening?

  • mogollonry@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2010
      Howdy from Tejas. Is anybody building anything or have any ideas about building stuff? I have been busy building a new micro layout ( 2 by 4 feet) using my old On20 Shay and Gilpin Tram ore cars plus some other old dusty stuff I dug up in the garage. http://freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=2587&forum_id=40
      Here's a link to my little On20 layout in freerails. I found that when it was raining, cold, nighttime..I wanted to run a train inside (the Mogollon Railway is outside) and also since the MRy is point to point and requires being an engineer to operate, I just wanted to watch a little train run around and around. I have a long way to go on the layout but time is what I have the most of anyway. I thought some may want to build a little layout which may satisfy the need until that "dream" layout is built. Besides, I can take this one with me to club meets, shows, and even out in the country for some dynamite background scenery for photos. Woodie
    • ronaldwolters
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
        Hey Woody-
        funny you mention the micro layout-
        I was just cleaning up my shop over the weekend and came across a old portable layout that I neve finished in Sn3...Not exactly micro.. I once had an idea to use up some very old lumber and build a small layout in an old time coffin, and the The Death Valley Rwy, was born. anyway I was looking @ it and thought about how easy it would be to start over and build it in 35n2... just a loop of track and a couple of auto reverse tracks, a few mines and I'm in business. Most people who have looked @ the layout don't realize its coffin shaped until they really look @ it. Now I can't sleep @ night as I think of what would look good on each little mine dump and suare inch of the box.

        Ron

        --- In NGMMG@yahoogroups.com, "mogollonry@..." <mogollonry@...> wrote:

        > Howdy from Tejas. Is anybody building anything or have any ideas about building stuff? I have been busy building a new micro layout ( 2 by 4 feet) using my old On20 Shay and Gilpin Tram ore cars plus some other old dusty stuff I dug up in the garage. http://freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=2587&forum_id=40
        > Here's a link to my little On20 layout in freerails. I found that when it was raining, cold, nighttime..I wanted to run a train inside (the Mogollon Railway is outside) and also since the MRy is point to point and requires being an engineer to operate, I just wanted to watch a little train run around and around. I have a long way to go on the layout but time is what I have the most of anyway. I thought some may want to build a little layout which may satisfy the need until that "dream" layout is built. Besides, I can take this one with me to club meets, shows, and even out in the country for some dynamite background scenery for photos. Woodie

      • William Uffelman
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
          Ron -- I for one would like ot see a drawing or photos of your Death Valley concept. Some rough sawn wide pine planks for a coffin would be great.

          Bill Uffelman
          Not far from Death Valley in
          Las Vegas NV

          ________________________________
          I was just cleaning up my shop over the weekend and came across a old portable layout that I neve finished in Sn3...Not exactly micro.. I once had an idea to use up some very old lumber and build a small layout in an old time coffin, and the The Death Valley Rwy, was born. anyway I was looking @ it and thought about how easy it would be to start over and build it in 35n2... just a loop of track and a couple of auto reverse tracks, a few  mines and I'm in business. Most people who have looked @ the layout don't realize its coffin shaped until they really look @ it. Now I can't sleep @ night as I think of what would look good on each little mine dump and suare inch of the box.

          Ron

          --- In NGMMG@yahoogroups.com, "mogollonry@..." <mogollonry@...> wrote:

          > Howdy from Tejas. Is anybody building anything or have any ideas about building stuff? I have been busy building a new micro layout ( 2 by 4 feet) using my old On20 Shay and Gilpin Tram ore cars plus some other old dusty stuff I dug up in the garage.  http://freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=2587&forum_id=40
          > Here's a link to my little On20 layout in freerails. I found that when it was raining, cold, nighttime..I wanted to run a train inside (the Mogollon Railway is outside) and also since the MRy is point to point and requires being an engineer to operate, I just wanted to watch a little train run around and around. I have a long way to go on the layout but time is what I have the most of anyway. I thought some may want to build a little layout which may satisfy the need until that "dream" layout is built. Besides, I can take this one with me to club meets, shows, and even out in the country for some dynamite background scenery for photos.    Woodie

        • Woodie Greene
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
            Howdy Ron-those micros are addictive! This little 2 by 4 I am building is just for me to watch a train run around when I can't get outside to run my 35n2 layout. I thought about building this in 1:35 scale, but decided that I would use my old On20 (HOn3) locos and nice little Grandt Gilpin cars. On a 2 by 4 I could probably just run a Porter in On30 or 35n2 but with the On20 I have a little Shay! I imagine that a "bashed" MDC HO gauge Shay could run around 10" radius curves, but I run what I got! Greg Wright's little 32n20 Shay is built on an MDC platform and it looks superb, so why not! There's still lots to do on my big layout, but I feel that I can get this little one "finished" in my lifetime whereas the big Mogollon Railway will never really be done. Also, I can take this little layout to shows and meetings, so it has become more than just a thing for me to waste time upon. Your pix are great, I did note the  coffin shape..wonderful stuff. How
            about some more pix, please..
                                                           Woodie

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
              Woody-
              your right about the micro layouts. I have plans for a small compressed air loco for the loop. And two auto reverse tracks, one in the center and another coming out of an adit on the left. probably use a battery loco for the adit and no idea for the other line. Mine is mostly just a project to have some thing running. while my larger layout will be for switching and operation. Your outside project has realy fired up my creative juices. What an inspiration your stuff is. I used to build just to enter into contests, but like you now want to finish something in my lifetime.
              Ron