Safety Yellow paint

  • billmart_ok
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2010
      I am about to finish construction of a small mining loco (representing a 4-wheeled critter powered by an internal combustion engine)and need to decide what color I want to paint it. As input to that decision, I'd like to know - approximately - when safety yellow started to be used for such equipment, and when its use became really widespread.

      Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

      Bill Martinsen
    • tinticng
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2010
        Hi Bill,

        Red and light gray were popular colors. I've seen blue and green also. Mines used whatever was at hand. I don't know when yellow came into use. It was being used in the '60s when I first went underground. Most equipment eventually ended up covered in rust and rock dust anyway. The only time anything got cleaned was if it had to go in for major repair. I've seen stuff come out of the shop with a fresh coat of paint covering several inches of caked on rock and mud.

        Sam Bass

      • Kjb80401@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2010
          Sam,

          Now wouldn't that be an interesting post as to a "How To" presentation.
          Especially on the Weathering Yahoo group site.

          Keevan