TWO SEPARATE ITEMS IN THIS POST

  • crazyhistorian
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2006
      TWO SEPARATE ITEMS IN THIS POST

      ITEM NUMBER ONE IS FROM THE SFABC:

      THE STARSHIP LOCAL

      A NEWSLETTER OF THE SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION OF BERGEN COUNTY
      136 MANHATTAN AVENUE WALDWICK, NJ 07463
      PHONE: (201) 447 - 3652

      SPECIAL NOTE: MEETING SITE HAS CHANGED

      DECEMBER MEETING PREVIEW:

      6:00 PM: Holiday Party / Pot Luck Dinner Set Up
      7:15 PM: Dinner Served (Hopefully!)
      9:00 PM: Video: THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA

      You are invited for an evening of good cheer, food and conversation
      at the meeting of the Science Fiction Association of Bergen County
      on Saturday, December 9, 2006. The event will be held at the United
      Methodist Church of Waldwick, 25 Franklin Turnpike, Waldwick, Bergen
      County, New Jersey. This is where we held last year's Holiday Party
      and is not our usual meeting site. Directions appear on page two.

      HOLIDAY PARTY / POT LUCK DINNER

      A minimum of four volunteers are needed at the Church at 6:00 PM to
      assist with the set up for the pot luck dinner. For those of you
      who are new to the group and unfamiliar with pot luck dinners, the
      affair works in this manner: everyone prepares a dish and everyone
      shares from the common pot. We hope to have dinner ready for 7:15
      PM. Please note that the kitchen facilities are off limits except
      for the refrigerator. We will bring a microwave/toaster oven for
      reheating purposes.

      We will need main dishes (stews, soups, roasts, pastas, casseroles),
      appetizers, side dishes, desserts, beverages, condiments, paper
      products, serving utensils, and so on. To avoid duplications,
      please advise Phil De Parto of what you intend to bring in advance.

      Anyone bringing food is asked to display an index card with the
      following information beside their food: your name, the name of the
      dish, and a list of ingredients used in preparing the food. This
      will allow people with dietary restrictions of a medical or
      religious nature to be sure that they can enjoy the fare without any
      problems.

      ABOUT THE ASSOCIATION:

      The S F A B C meets on the second Saturday of the month and features
      talks, slide shows and other presentations by people in the science
      fiction, fantasy, horror and related fields. The Association
      sponsors a STAR TREK group, four book related discussion groups (one
      on a horror monster book, one on a topic, one on a science fiction
      classic and one on the entire body of work by a specific author), an
      art group, a movie viewing group, a movie discussion group, a group
      devoted to ANIME, a writers' critique group for aspiring authors, a
      fantasy role-playing game, a special activities group, and other
      events. We also produce this newsletter and invite you to visit our
      website and our yahoo chat room at:

      http://www.sfabc.org

      THE STARSHIP LOCAL Volume 4, Number 12
      Philip J De Parto

      THE STARSHIP LOCAL is the monthly meeting notice of the Science
      Fiction Association of Bergen County. It is designed to communicate
      basic information about the activities of the organization to
      devotees of fantasy, horror and science fiction. All material by
      Philip J De Parto unless otherwise acknowledged.

      We also publish a more extensive monthly newsletter, THE STARSHIP
      EXPRESS, for members of the organization. If you are not a member
      and would like to receive the EXPRESS, mail a check for $ 8.00 for
      the electronic version or $ 12.00 for the print version. Checks
      should be made payable to Philip J De Parto, 136 Manhattan Avenue,
      Waldwick, New Jersey 07463.

      Directions to Meeting Site:

      United Methodist Church of Waldwick
      25 Franklin Turnpike
      Waldwick, New Jersey 07463

      (Entrance in rear of building)

      The United Methodist Church of Waldwick is the smaller of two
      churches on the Franklin Turnpike in Waldwick, New Jersey near the
      Ho-Ho-Kus border. Among the nearby landmarks are Saint Luke's
      Catholic Church and Nellie's Place Restaurant on the northbound side
      of the Turnpike and Matthews' Diner and the historic Hermitage on
      the southbound side. All of these are a little to the south of the
      Methodist Church.

      Slightly to the North of the Church are the traffic lights marking
      the intersections of Franklin Turnpike and Wyckoff Avenue, and
      Franklin Turnpike and Prospect Street. Home Hardware is adjacent to
      the Church, and Burger King is a few doors over.

      FROM ROUTE 17 NORTHBOUND:

      Exit ROUTE 17 NORTH at HOLLYWOOD AVENUE, HO-HO-KUS. (This is the
      exit after RACE TRACK ROAD). Bear left and drive over the highway.
      Continue West on Hollywood Avenue for four blocks until you come to
      the traffic light at the junction of HOLLYWOOD and SHERIDAN
      AVENUES. Continue west uphill for another two blocks until you come
      to a blinking traffic light. Turn right onto Franklin Turnpike
      (Route 507). Pass Saint Luke's Church and Nellie's Place on your
      right and the Hermitage and Matthews' Diner on your left. The
      driveway for the United Methodist Church of Waldwick is just before
      the traffic light for Wyckoff Avenue.

      FROM ROUTE 17 SOUTHBOUND:

      Exit ROUTE 17 SOUTH at SHERIDAN AVENUE, WALDWICK - HO-HO-KUS. Bear
      right (which is Prospect Street) and follow Prospect to the west for
      about four blocks to the traffic light. This is the Franklin
      Turnpike. There is a gas station, a pharmacy and a restaurant at
      this intersection. Turn left onto FRANKLIN TURNPIKE. Drive south
      for one block. Continue through the light for WYCKOFF AVENUE,
      turning left into second driveway after the light.

      FROM GARDEN STATE PARKWAY NORTHBOUND:

      Take exit 163 to ROUTE 17 NORTH, Paramus. This is the third exit
      after the Bergen County tolls. Note that the exit is from the left
      hand lane. Merge with ROUTE 17. Then follow directions From Route
      17 Northbound.

      FROM ROCKLAND COUNTY VIA LOCAL ROADS:

      Take Route 59 to its western terminus in Suffern, New York. Turn
      left and proceed south along Orange Avenue which becomes the
      Franklin Turnpike when it crosses into Mahwah, New Jersey. Continue
      south, crossing Route 17 in Ramsey, New Jersey. There is a traffic
      light to enter the Interstate Shopping Center just to the south of
      the overpass. Continue south, passing three regular and one
      blinking traffic light. The next traffic light is Prospect Street
      in Waldwick, New Jersey. There is an Eckard Drugs, a Gulf Station,
      and a restaurant at three corners of this intersection. Go south to
      the next traffic light, Wyckoff Avenue. The church is the next two
      driveways after this light on your left.

      FROM THE SADDLE RIVER VALLEY CULTURAL CENTER:

      Turn right after leaving the driveway and proceed south along East
      Saddle River Road. Turn right, heading west on East Allendale
      Road. Bear left at the fork in the road and drive under the
      highway. Turn left at the next light onto Franklin Turnpike
      southbound. Pass one blinking and two regular traffic lights. The
      church is just past the second (Wyckoff Avenue) traffic light. Turn
      left.

      DECEMBER MEETING PREVIEW

      Although we much prefer everyone to bring a dish, we know that there
      will always be someone who decides to attend at the last minute or
      who was unable to prepare something for the meal. These people may
      donate $ 5.00 in lieu of food. This is to cover the cost of food
      and is separate from the Attendance or Annual Membership fees that
      may be due. Note: everyone is expected to contribute food or
      equivalent. This includes first time attendees.

      IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU ARRIVE AT THE CHURCH WITH YOUR FOOD AT OR
      NEAR 7:15 PM. WHEN FOOD ARRIVES HOURS LATE IT SIMPLY GETS DISCARDED!

      This is a standard meeting of the Association with the usual
      membership, etc. fee structure in place. We require these fees in
      addition of the food or money we collect for dinner because the
      church and the post office charge us rent, postage, and so on. Call
      ahead of time if you need to discuss anything.

      VIDEO PROGRAM:

      Although there will not be a formal program for the evening, we will
      offer a mixture of cartoons and a movie in a side room. At 9:00 PM,
      we will screen THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA.

      The party is being held at the Waldwick Church instead of Upper
      Saddle River because the set up of the Pot Luck Dinner is most
      easily done at this facility. It is also on a more heavily traveled
      road, a consideration for the winter months. Finally, it is only a
      couple of blocks from a Stop and Shop which can replenish any
      holiday supplies we require at the last minute.

      ASSOCIATION ACTIVITIES AT A GLANCE:

      Please note that we maintain separate email reminder lists for all
      of the monthly activities of the Association. If you would like to
      be added to any or all of these lists, please contact the
      Association.

      12/07/06 Thursday Monsters: MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (Film).
      Webber/De Parto Residence, 8:00 PM.
      Waldwick, New Jersey.
      12/09/06 Saturday SFABC General Meeting: Holiday Party.
      Doors Open/Food Preparation, 6:00 PM.
      Pot Luck Eating, 7:15 PM.
      THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA, 9:00 PM.
      Methodist Church.
      Waldwick, New Jersey.
      12/10/06 Sunday Electronic Writers Workshop.
      Herr Residence, 4:00 PM.
      Caldwell, New Jersey.
      12/13/06 Wednesday That's SF, Part 2!: HERCULES.
      Webber/De Parto Residence, 7:30 PM.
      Waldwick, New Jersey.
      12/25/06 Monday Special Activity: Holiday Hang Out.
      Webber/De Parto Residence, 3:00 PM.
      Waldwick, New Jersey.
      12/29/06 Friday Month End Book: ASYLUM by Paul Witcover.
      Paramus Park Food Court, 7:30 PM.
      Paramus, New Jersey.
      12/31/06 Sunday Writers' Critique Group.
      Webber/De Parto Residence, 4:00 PM.
      Waldwick, New Jersey.

      END OF ITEM FROM SFABC

      OUR GROUP, NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS IS DESCRIBED BELOW:

      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS is for everyone 21 or older.
      Younger fans should find another club.
      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS Wants you! Please introduce yourself
      when you join and periodically as new members keep joining. We plan
      to get together at restaurants and to go to movies. All of the
      restaurants we want to go to will be non-smoking restaurants in New
      Jersey. All of the movies we want to see will be Science Fiction
      movies. We will see them in movie theaters and if people are kind
      enough, on people's home VCRs, or DVD players, for the
      technologically advanced among us. We will NEVER charge money for
      any of our events. Everything will be strictly Dutch Treat. Buy your
      own movie tickets. Buy your own meals at Restaurants. Hopefully a
      typical event would involve going to a Science Fiction Movie and
      then to a Restaurant to discuss the movie we just saw. We also hope
      to go individually or as a group to any other worthwhile events
      people may know of in New Jersey. If we go to someone's home, bring
      your own potluck yummies to munch on. No money changes hands. Please
      do post your ideas for club events. Email attachments are not
      permitted Please feel free to discuss science fiction books and
      stories you have read, or written, your favorite authors, favorite
      science fiction movies or TV shows, etc. in person and via email or
      at the web site Please do come to events. Escape From Your Computer!
      All of our events will be both Smoke-Free and Feline-Free for the
      cat allergy victims amongst us. So if you let us use your home for
      an event make sure it is both Smoke-Free and Feline Free. No drugs
      or booze will be allowed at any of our club events. Why should you
      join an organization that would have someone like you as a member?
      Well, half of success in life is just showing up on time. Show up
      here at the web site, or via email, and especially, in person, in
      real life, at our events, and find out.. This club is for everyone
      21 or older. Younger fans should find another club.
      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_FICTION_FANS-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Please also be sure to join BOTH of the two lively science fiction
      groups
      listed immediately below, BOTH of which regularly have real life
      science fiction events.
      THE SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION OF BERGEN COUNTY
      136 MANHATTAN AVENUE WALDWICK, NEW JERSEY 07463
      PHONE: (201) 447 – 3652
      http://www.sfabc.org/

      Science Fiction Society of Northern NJ
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFSNNJ/
      Please be sure to join our group
      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_ FICTION_FANS- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com
      We will be discussing Wandering Stars: An Anthology of Jewish
      Fantasy and Science Fiction
      by Jack Dann
      Wandering Stars ed. Jack M. Dann (Harper & Row, 1974, hc)
      http://contento.best.vwh.net/t31.htm
      • Why Me? • Isaac Asimov • in
      • On Venus, Have We Got a Rabbi • William Tenn • nv *
      • The Golem • Avram Davidson • ss F&SF Mar `55
      • Unto the Fourth Generation • Isaac Asimov • ss F&SF Apr `59
      • Look, You Think You've Got Troubles • Carol Carr • ss Orbit 5, ed.
      Damon Knight, G.P. Putnam's, 1969
      • Goslin Day • Avram Davidson • ss Orbit 6, ed. Damon Knight, G.P.
      Putnam's, 1970
      • The Dybbuk of Mazel Tov IV • Robert Silverberg • ss *
      • Trouble with Water • Horace L. Gold • ss Unknown Mar `39
      • Gather Blue Roses • Pamela Sargent • ss F&SF Feb `72
      • The Jewbird • Bernard Malamud • ss The Reporter Apr 11 `63
      • Paradise Last • George Alec Effinger • nv *
      • Street of Dreams, Feet of Clay • Robert Sheckley • nv Galaxy
      Feb `68
      • Jachid and Jechidah • Isaac Bashevis Singer • ss, 1961
      • I'm Looking for Kadak • Harlan Ellison • nv *
      • Ellison's Grammatical Guide and Glossary for Goyim • Harlan
      Ellison • ms
      • Evise, the Zsouchmoid • Tim Kirk • il
      And :
      More Wandering Stars ed. Jack M. Dann (Doubleday, 1981, hc); An
      Anthology of Jewish Fantasy and Science Fiction
      http://contento.best.vwh.net/t118.htm
      • Introduction: The Hebrew Source • Isaac Asimov • in
      • Tauf Aleph • Phyllis Gotlieb • nv *
      • Leviticus: In the Ark • Barry N. Malzberg • ss Epoch, ed. Roger
      Elwood & Robert Silverberg, Berkley, 1975
      • Warm, Dark Places • Horace L. Gold • ss Unknown Oct `40
      • A Lamed Wufnik • Mel Gilden • ss F&SF Dec `75
      • Isaiah • Barry N. Malzberg • ss Fantastic Sep `73
      • Dress Rehearsal • Harvey Jacobs • ss F&SF Jul `74
      • Forcing the End • Hugh Nissenson • ss In the Reign of Peace, 1969
      • The Last Demon • Isaac Bashevis Singer; trans. by Martha Glicklich
      & Cecil Hemley • ss Short Friday, 1964
      • The Mazel Tov Revolution • Joe W. Haldeman • ss Analog Sep `74
      • The Scrolls • Woody Allen • ss The New Republic
      • The Pagan Rabbi • Cynthia Ozick • nv The Hudson Review, 1966
      • The Celestial Orchestra • Howard Schwartz • ss, 1980
      • Camps • Jack M. Dann • nv F&SF May `79
      • Mom • Harlan Ellison • nv Silver Foxes Aug `76
      • Disciples • Gardner R. Dozois • ss Penthouse Dec `81

      at some upcoming

      events Stay tuned for details of when and where these discussions
      will be
      held.